Dell computers for recording?

downatone

I'm looking in the next few months at buying a new PC for recording. I have a delta card to plug into it and am just throwing around ideas.
What are peoples thoughts of using a dell.
I'm not sure how I can build a computer like this: here
for much cheaper?
Let the flaming of dell being :p.

I've had a Dimension 4550 for 3 yrs now no problems at all. Runs great with audio. I haven't done any synth shit on it yet. So I don't know how it will perform with that. But its a rock solid system. Only problem I had is running Half-life 2. Skipping and shit. But I think its a RAM thing.

Dim. 4550 2.0GHz
256 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 TX 128/TV OUT
Santa Cruz/Turtle Beach 16bit/48KHz
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM
NEC DVD+RW
Western Digital 120GB 7,200RPM 8MB
Hitachi 80GB 7,200RPM 2MB
Chipset that alows 3.06GHz HT (hyperthreading) processor. Its pretty Quiet.

If your lookin around take a look at some alienware. They're a bit more expensive though.

L8er,
livilaNic

Only problem I had is running Half-life 2. Skipping and shit. But I think its a RAM thing.

Yup, definetly will be the RAM given your system specs...

If your lookin around take a look at some alienware. They're a bit more expensive though.

Out of my price range, plus they heat up to quick for my liking.

I'm using a Dimension 8300 with 2 Layla 24/96 cards in it. I also don't do much soft-synth stuff with it, but it's been rockin' solid for me.

MadAudio (or anyone for that matter), have you heard anything about dell's chipsets not being kind to M-audio devices (in terms of big conflicts - like some SiS chipsets have been proven to have?)

Corsair 1GB Kit – 103.00
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 Retail – 190.00
Antec Quiet Case – 64.00
NEC Dual DVDRW Drive – 58.99
Seagate 160GB SATA w/ NCQ – 99.00
Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse Combo – 28.99
Samsung 17in Flat Panel Monitor – 259.99
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra Motherboard – 139.99
MSI NX6600GT PCI Express 128MB Video Card – 179.9
Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2 – 87.99

Total – 1210.95

All this at ZipZoomFly.com (newegg was too slow)

Depending where you live, there should be no tax or shipping.
IMHO, this system would smoke the Dell, but you'll have to get down and dirty to learn to put all this together. These are pretty much the "best" parts to match that Dell. You could save a few bucks with a smaller HDD, and cheaper video card.

Back