delay with rewire ??? v 1.5

cpc

im using adobe audition 1.5 with reason 4 ... and i get significant delay from the time i push a key on the keyboard and when the sound hits my ear ... i dont have this problem when i use reaper and i have a computer more than capable of running adobe audition and reason.. (amd athlon 64 x2 5600+ 2.8 ghz , 2 gb ram) ... does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening and how to fix it?? thanks

Latency and your soundcard's buffer settings are intimately related. If you tweak the buffer settings in your soundcard and possibly in Audition as well, you might be able to square the circle:

1 Get low latency, so that you hear what you play as you play it.

2 Get no stuttering.

This problem isn't unique to Audition; it's pretty much across the board. My understanding is that it's particularly problematic with MIDI stuff. What really intrigues me is how Reaper manages to avoid it.

my computer is quite fast and the latency is at the lowest settings, i have no problem using reaper , reason , or both in combination , ... it has to be a setting within audition that's causing this ... where would i check? any ideas?

what is the buffer and driver settings in AA? When running a rewire slave, the audio settings should inherit from the master app so AA running a DX driver would definitely cause this problem

what is the buffer and driver settings in AA? When running a rewire slave, the audio settings should inherit from the master app so AA running a DX driver would definitely cause this problem

true, but like i said i tried the trial version of aa 3.0 with asio and the problem still occured :confused:

true, but like i said i tried the trial version of aa 3.0 with asio and the problem still occured :confused:

I am running ASIO but still it's possible to set Buffer to 2048 samples on my card. 2048 samples with 44.1 kHz would result delay if I try to record MIDI or play LIVE VSTi instruments. I use 64, 128 or even 256 buffering samples for recording but as I said it is possible to set it to 2048 which is meant for mixing usage.

True enough I never rewire but rewiring could never result with less latency, only bigger I think.

You say it takes time until you hear the sound.
What sound? Some VSTi or PC synthesizer?
What card do you use?
What buffer size is set on your AA 3,0???

I am not familiar with reazon but anyway there are tricks for recording MIDIs if you are using a cheep card.
I did those tricks on my old SB Live card until I bought M-Audio F410.
It is possible to run AA 3,0 on windows drivers too but performance would never be the same.
I am sure we'll help you out at the end but there are too many unknowns right now.
sikter

im using a m audio mobile pre usb soundcard, buffer is 128 , dont have this problem with reaper or any other program using rewire, just audition :confused:

im using a m audio mobile pre usb soundcard, buffer is 128 , dont have this problem with reaper or any other program using rewire, just audition :confused:

Which driver is running in AA3,0?
Audition Windows or ASIO?

asio in 3.0 , and not asio in 1.5 since i dont think 1.5 supports asio.. either way the problem occurs in both versions, asio or not.

ASIO wasn't supported until 2.0.

As it happens, I have run into a similar problem. I've been mixing down about 5 hours of multi-tracks that I recorded with a Korg D888 and then imported into AA 1.5 to edit.

I find that, unless I'm careful about my signal path, it's possible to get significant delay not as a result of latency or buffer size, but as a consequence of inadvertently sending a track the long way around the barn, so to speak, so that a given track is going through extra processing that ends up delaying a track in relation to the others.

This has happened to me with overdubbing, but I think something like that is happening to you. Even though no "processing" is taking place, transfer is not instantaneous.

the only thing i've noticed is when using reason/rewire with programs like reaper.... when launching reason as a rewire it will say "cannot find control surface" because the program reaper is already using it....which is how it should be i think.

where as when i use rewire with audition, i do not get this error message , meaning that reason is picking up my keyboard , not audition first. so maybe it has to send the signal through an extra program causing the latency? i dont know if this has anything to do with the problem but it's the only difference i can notice between audition and other programs that run rewire fine without latency.

Back