Deftones Bass

They seem to do a lot of 10k and 1k roll off... and hard panning of a miced bass?

There albums always technically sound amazing.

[This message has been edited by SirBroch (edited 05-30-2000).]

Steve Albini... He has a way of capturing the best of the low-rent tone... He did their first album but I dont know what songs your links point to...
The Deftones NEED a good producer... If you know what I mean...
Not to diss 'em but lots of good bands need serious production... Like Janes Adiction... Pretty lame live... but listen to "Nothings Shocking"...
Good production can turn a band of garage goof-offs into the stuff of which legends are made... Kinda like the tail wagging the dog...

I guess everyone has their on tastes.. For me, I'm actually trying to achieve that fat tone they are getting on the album.

Go figure!

:)

I don't think S8-N said he doesn't like the bass tone. I think he said that the group doesn't sound as good live as they do in the studio.

Lots of bands fall into that category. Have you ever heard "Third Eye Blind", "Lit", or "Blink 182" live?

For my $0.02, I'd say the bass tone reminds me of the bass tone on No Doubt's new single "Simple Kind Of Life".

I agree that it's an interesting tone because it's very, very "present" without being loud. In fact, you feel it much more than you hear it.

It definitely sits in its own space. This usually comes about by making sure that the frequencies of the guitars and the bass don't overlap in the sonic field.

But that doesn't explain the whole thing, 'cause the bass still has that presence even when the guitars aren't playing.

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting it.

CT

yo S8-N..check your facts man!!! Terry Date recorded their first and second album. I'm not sure who recorded their latest though. I'll find out.

S8-N, did your flash video ever see the light of day? I would like to see it.

ametth

Boy is my face red...
It sounds like Albini's work, though...
The flash vid exists but I have yet to see it... How strange is that??? I constitute 66.6% of this band yet I havent seen the video... Now that I have a computer maybe I'll get a chance...
I am always the last to know.
I was recently featured in an award winning photography exhibit in which I portrayed a naked, dead, Christ...
No one even told me about the opening...
I think there is a conspiracy afoot to prevent me from having a good time...

Back