Default sound card settings

Rockenheimer

Hi.

I have Guitar Tracks Pro III, with M-Audio Firewire Solo sound card. My PC has a 2 gig CPU, I have 512 megs of RAM and some 75 gigs to spare on my hard drive.

My problem is that everytime I want to record anything new or playback anything previously recorded, I seem to come across the same issue: no audio in, or no audio out, or both. Is that cuz of the default settings on the sound card? I can't achieve anything unless I spend a good part of my time trying to sort out which sound card to use for record, and playback (original "stock" onboard sound card vs. Firewire Solo.) Seemed like a no-brainer, I set everything at "sound card for recording": Solo, "sound card for playback": Solo. After lots of trial and error and hit and miss, I finally get the signal through for recording and playback. I do my thing, save everything, and when I come back the next day, again - I can't hear playback, and/or I can't get the signal passed either the sound card and/or the actual recording software if I'm trying to record. (In other words: if I want to record, the signal won't show on the Solo soundcard mixer until much trial and error, and supposing I finally get a signal to show up on the screen, I still get no audio on the headphones; there's nothing showing on the Guitar Pro mixer where I know for a fact lies the track I recorded previously.) The track is there - I can see it in the "Edit" view. But nothing shows up next to the appropriate faders, and I can't get any audio either. ) Then I look up the "Control Panel" - "Sound and Audio Devices", and lo and behold, the settings are the same as when I last set them, but I still can't hear anything.

It's as if the audio gets saved to a seperate folder that I haven't opened or something.

So my question is: how do I make sure that once I get a signal through to record, I'll be able to hear it AS WELL AS record something new the next time I sit down to record or mix?

Thank you.

Rockenheimer said:
I spend a good part of my time trying to sort out which sound card to use for record, and playback.
First of all, since you have replaced that soundcard that came with your PC with a much better one you can now remove that from your system. Just go to add/remove programs (or hardware) in the control panel and nuke it.

With the rest, you're going to have to read the programs manual. There is a Cakewalk forum here -- if you still have questions, post them there.

As far as a folder for audio goes, all midi and audio applications give you the option to specify one - just create a new folder called 'audio' inside the cakewalk folder and point the program to store in there...

And I did get your answer about using V-drums -- that makes it an audio track and it's more likely than not that you need to adjust the size of your audio buffer.

Back