Deep Purple In Rock: guitar sound?

nessbass

Hi folks!

Does anyone here have any information about the guitar sound on Deep Purple's In Rock album? I just recently dug around in old cassette tapes and found a copy of it. I was blown away by that sound! It is so highly resonant and vibrating, just as if the speaker was about to explode! So is there a source of information about the equipment and techniques used, and where can I find it? I'm especially talking about the first track 'Speed King', BTW.

David

Any older marshall oughtta do the trick. Ones without master volume. The sustain and compression was power tubes cooking!

thanks, pipeline!

I guess you just have to push that amp until it IS close to breakdown.

Any more suggestions?

It was likely a British made Marshall too.

And they don't sound the same as
American made ones (different amps,
really).
Hmm, I'll have to see if my Pod can
make that sound. I still have that record
around somewheres..

I know that he used to be a strat player, and probably still is, but I can hardly believe that a strat is capable of producing such a sound. No offense to any of you strat-maniacs, it's still a great-sounding guitar for certain applications.

speed king is certainly a scalloped guitar with single coils, at least the version on In Rock. Most of the time a non mastervolume head on full blast would make that tone but there are parts of the song I wonder if there is some sort of whacko early 70's fuzz pedal. Damn now Im on a quest to find out!

Im a HUGE Blackmore fan too, tho I play scallops with humbuckers :)

I still LOVE " still Im sad" from the live rainbow album, every little bit of lead seems to fit in just right, kinda like tony iommi on " turn up the night "

If I’m correctly informed, Blackmore never used the middle pickup of his strat. He slightly modified the pickup switching of his strat, swapping the middle and bridge pickup. This way he managed to use the “neck – bridge” combination as part of his signature sound.

I read somewhere in an interview that he ran through an old reel-to-reel recorder’s preamp and than into the Marshalls. Don’t know if he started doing that before or after “In Rock” was recorded. He said he always hid the recorder behind his amps.
-Flatpicker

I saw Blackmore play live in 1973, he had a Strat and 4 Marshall stacks, whether he used that in a studio who knows, probably not, but he had several stomp boxes....again who knows, but I love his guitar work in or outta tune...Ritchie rocks.

Btw I`m not a 100% sure on this but I`m pretty certain Ritchie also used a Gibson 335 around that time, it wasent untill after that record he became a all Strat.
I know he used the strat on numerous tracks, but I`m certain a 335 was in there as well.
I`m almost certian Child in time is 335.

I think I also read somewere that Ian paice was a student of Jim Marshall, And Marshall were at theire early stages when Deep Purple was formed.
And that Jim asked Ritchie for opinions on the amps, so he could be playing on custom made Marshalls.

Last I think he allways played the on 10n in volume, and used his volume control on the guitar to set gain levels.

Child in Time was the last track (and only track on In Rock) done with a Gibson ES335. The rest of the album was done with a black strat (stock) with a Marshall 400Watt custom built head and 2 12X4 cabinets. Recorded in an old mansion.

Back