Deep Paiste China

tilinmyowngrave

I have an 18" Paiste 3000 Novo China. Its a great china, but I also want a china thats lower pitched. I have always found that Paiste beats everything (I don't know why, but I can't really find anything better than Paiste). So i want a Paiste china that can withstand a beating (I play metal, but I am very careful wth my cymbals), and i want it to be low pitched and LOUD. Well... Here are some ideas:

20" 2002 Novo China
20" Signature Heavy China
20" 2002 China
18" Rude China

These are ust a few ideas... Please give me more ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
Larger cymbals are lower in pitch. Heavier (thicker) cymbals are higher in pitch. If you want low pitch, try and find a regular 2002 china about a 22" or even 24" (rare). Otherwise you might have to go with Wuhan 22". Wuhan is hit or miss. Sometimes you get a really good one, sometimes poo! I happen to have a few good 'uns.

tilinmyowngrave said:
how is a Wuhan 27" china? it is large enough to be deep and loud (i think) but how do they sound? are they durable?
I think philgood just said that sometimes they are good and sometimes they are crap. I the drummer in my band bought a 10 inch one and it was horrible. Everytime he hit it it literaly hurt my ears. When he left the room the bass player and I took it and hid it so he would not use it anymore.

patlang12 said:
I think philgood just said that sometimes they are good and sometimes they are crap. I the drummer in my band bought a 10 inch one and it was horrible. Everytime he hit it it literaly hurt my ears. When he left the room the bass player and I took it and hid it so he would not use it anymore.

Exactly right! Its a turkey shoot. I have 2 12" chinas and one is good the other is blah. I also have an 18" that sounds beautiful. I have 3 10" splashes and each one is a different thickness. I like the sound of each one though, so I switch them for different sounds. Also 2 12" splashes that are both awesome. I think for the most part they are great cymbals but occasionaly you get one that sounds like it was made by a trainee.

I think a 27" would be REALLY low pitch and yes, very loud. They are durable cymbals but you should know the bells are actually welded to the main cymbal body. Be careful!! The welding is the weak spot!

Say what?

One more thing - if you're gonna play a 27" china, just make sure everyone within earshot of that thing is wearing ear protection. Especailly in places smaller than a sports arena. Ouch! :eek:

I guess the upside to Wuhan's hit or miss nature is that they're pretty much dirt cheap as far as cymbals go. I think I got my 18" for $35 or so.

As a longtime Paiste user, I would suggest that you stay away from the Signature China's. The Best China cymbals are usually made out of crap grade metals - the cheaper the metal, the better the China's trashiness - which is why Wuhan's sound so good.

The Signature China's are just too "musical" sounding for my ears.

I would go with 2002/Rude or Alpha China types and get a 20".

I use a pair of 20" 2002's and love the things, and I've had them since around 1990 or 1991.

The Little Wuhans are really hit or miss, but I've never heard an 18" or larger Wuhan China that I didn't like. I think it really has to do with the size of them. I had a 14" Wuhan China for a few months....it sounded good, but didn't last.

The 24" Paiste 2002 China mentioned was used by Scott Rockenfield on Queensryche's song "Take Hold of the Flame". It sounds simply amazing.

Tim

Danny Carey (my favorite drummer) has 2 chinas:

One is a 22" Thin China (Signature), and one is a 24" 2002 China (on one website it said it was a Novo China, on another it said it was just a regular 2002 china)... but on his website you can listen to them both, they are really awesome. But i would need to get those custom ordered... and since I'm already trying to save up for a Sonor 3005 set, I think I will get a Wuhan 27" (only $100).

tilinmyowngrave said:
Danny Carey (my favorite drummer) has 2 chinas:

One is a 22" Thin China (Signature), and one is a 24" 2002 China (on one website it said it was a Novo China, on another it said it was just a regular 2002 china)... but on his website you can listen to them both, they are really awesome. But i would need to get those custom ordered... and since I'm already trying to save up for a Sonor 3005 set, I think I will get a Wuhan 27" (only $100).
I would go to a store and test them out so you can find one that sounds good.

I have an 18" Paiste 3000 Novo China. Its a great china, but I also want a china thats lower pitched. I have always found that Paiste beats everything (I don't know why, but I can't really find anything better than Paiste). So i want a Paiste china that can withstand a beating (I play metal, but I am very careful wth my cymbals), and i want it to be low pitched and LOUD. Well... Here are some ideas:

20" 2002 Novo China
20" Signature Heavy China
20" 2002 China
18" Rude China

These are ust a few ideas... Please give me more ideas. Thanks.
Don't suppose you still have the 3000 18" novo china?

Back