DeeExpus - Take me Out - Comments?

DeeExpus

and for my NEXT mix ... !
My ears are battered, could really do with a fresh set?

Greetings one and all, its been a long time since ive done anything other than dissappear up me own arse with stuff ive been working on for the last 5 years!! Anyway, regardless, I have finished with all that and managed to cobble this together in the last 3 weeks (something of a record for me (pun intended!)).

Dabbled in a bit of mastering too!! its awful i know, but hey at least i try eh? Mastered in Soundforge without a clue - lol.

Anyway, as Always, grateful for any comments. You may find the track here:

Thank you and good night!

Dee

actually, since this origional post, I have spent a good 8 hours remixing (the fresh(!!!) mp3 is in place of the stale). The mix sounded perfect (pfff!) on my monitors until i slapped it into other realms (PC, HI-FI, Car etc etc.) I could really do with some help on this if anyones remotely interested. Appreciate any comments, but more specifically on the mix and the post mix compression etc etc. I remain at your mercy!

Merci!

Last edited:
Fun Song

Dee:

Fun tune. Music is solid; vocals very good, nicely on key throughout. Good balance in the mix. I'm listening on headphones, watching "The X-Files." Catchy chorus. Reminds me a little of Squeeze stuff. Nice instrumental break and guitar solo before the final chorus. For some reason, I don't like the guitar tone on that solo. I don't know, perhaps sounds too "eighties-ish," if that makes any sense at all -- not sure. Don't get me wrong. It still sounds very good, and works well within the overall arrangement. As far as the mix, my only recommendation: bring up the drums. Are they programmed? Often, in my own stuff, if I've used a drum machine, I have a hard time turning up the drum track, because I dislike the cymbals. However, I find it's a necessary evil in order to craft a more contemporary sounding mix.

I like this song. Really nice job!

Kevin

www.LoweJam.com

Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Kevin. I agree about the solo completely, infact I started re recording it a couple of nights ago but gave up as I simply couldnt play anything!! (one of those nights! (AGAIN!!)). My music previous to this has recieved persistant referal to being eighties sounding and I'm trying to get away from it, difficult when ur 36!

The kit on the other hand sounds fnamazing on my monitors (Alesis M1's), as do the BV's but theyre lost somewhere in the eq post mix. Need to work on it a touch (lot) more.

Once again thanks for taking the time, Much appreciated.

Dee

Hey, cool song.

The backing vocals at :45 seem to have a little too much chorus, and need a little more air in them. The compression ratio seems just a tad too high, maybe try decrease the attack on that track. Maybe it's just me though...

It sounds like this song is missing a lot of warmth. I has the low end in the bass, and a lot of highs. Other than that, I'm missing alot of midrange warmth.

I think that everything is compressed pretty well, especially the main vox.

The drum sounds are decent for samples, but unrealistic. The whole drum set fits perfectly into one pocket, and stays there for the whole song. Still, better than most I've heard. :)

Maybe trying adding a running sysnthesizer chord sound throughout the song to really eat up the space, and focus on warm, warm, and more warm! Just make sure it's not intrusive on the mix, but hits that wide stereo pocket.

Catchy, I like this tune man. You have good chops. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Tyler.

No chorus on the BV's, but i know where ur coming from. What do you mean by chops? Vox? Rght hand guitar technique? ... you got me!!

Be interested to know what you think of this version ...

Cheers

Dee

Last edited:
DeeExpus said:
Thanks Tyler.

No chorus on the BV's, but i know where ur coming from. What do you mean by chops? Vox? Rght hand guitar technique? ... you got me!!

Be interested to know what you think of this version ...

Cheers

Dee

Either it's me, or my computer speakers. I listened to it at a friend's house. I am now listening to your mix through computer speakers at another person's house. I'll definitely check it out later through my monitors.

I think the background vox sound pretty good. They are clashing a little with the front vox. I'm not quite sure how to fix that issue, as well, I'm not the greatest with mixing myself.

I like this version though man, especially the beginning. Cool song. Reminds me of barenaked ladies. Great work!

Very nice

Dee

Trimmed version sounds a little better overall to my ears. I love the wah effect on the guitar solo. The drums seem to sit a little better in the mix. A bit more forward sounding.

With the backing vox, I agree with TrackRatLouie, they compete a little with your main vox. They sound great and are panned nicely, so I would suggest simply turning them down a little -- or perhaps consider cutting some of the lower frequencies on each backing vocal to distinguish them a bit more from the lead vox (I do that quite a lot on my own stuff to provide better separation).

Yeah, I can hear a bit of Barenaked Ladies in this tune. Again, nice job. Very catchy. I actually had this tune going through my head yesterday in court, cringing as the judge sentenced my client to 70 years in prison for 1st Degree Murder -- the little lyric about being a "good boy" ( . . . I bet that's the first time anyone's said something like that about one of your tunes!)

Cheers,
Kevin

www.LoweJam.com

PS Thanks for the compliment on my website.

I haven't read the other reviews above, so this is a fresh uninfluenced review ;)

Very poppy, the tone on the intro guitar is neat.
I think you could use some more or thicker rhythm guitar in the chorus. I like how you go into that riff again right after.
The backup vox are cool. And nice solo. Cool break at 3:22.
Overall good pop piece.

P.S- I listened to the new mix

donger said:
This drummer keeps almost perfect tempo. He is very solid.

Wow. Thanks for the kind comments chaps (or chappesses??!! not u tyler, obviously) ;)

The Drummers Name is Norman Expus and he resides in my rack cunningly disguised as an old Akai S1100 Sampler. He was born one week end when his 3 dads spent happy times with a huge drumkit, lots of mikes and one sick drummer (he got sacked not long after - heh). I spend ages programming the damn thing so I find it very flattering when someone doesnt recognise him! Cheers. (not cunningly disguised enough for you packratlouie!)

packratlouie said:
Reminds me of barenaked ladies. Great work!
Tyler. If I was a Thai Ladyboy, I would love you long time for that comment. I love the BNL and they have a lot of influence over my writing, certainly lyricly. No one has ever paid me such a high compliment before....

Kevin Lowe said:
I actually had this tune going through my head yesterday in court, cringing as the judge sentenced my client to 70 years in prison for 1st Degree Murder -- the little lyric about being a "good boy" ( . . . I bet that's the first time anyone's said something like that about one of your tunes!)

... until now!! I was grinning from ear to ear reading this. Woke up this morning absolutely roasted (the other half had turned the heater on the waterbed up to number 11 and it was actually bubbling, I swear!!) with this song going round and round. Greer (other half) says .. I got that bloody song .. etc etc so Im already pleased with myself before I got here. Kevin that reply is hillarious, thanks mate.

With ref to the cother comments about the vox and that fattening of guitars etc, Im trying to go for space and clarity, to the best of my ability anyways. I have had the vocals lower in the mix (bv's) and wasnt as keen as i am now, ill maybe have (just one more!) listen. I also had the guitars tracked with 4, dropped it down to two to keep it consistant. Crap excuse, but again , I sort of liked the space.

Thanks Snakedog, you cant beat being poppy!! :D

Thanks again one and all for the kind comments

Dee

Back