decent yet affordable vocal preamp?

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
I wanna buy a good vocal preamp.
It doesn't have to be the absolute best (read most expensive) one, but I'd rather pay a few bucks more then end up with a piece of crap.
Any suggestions?

Insufficient budgetary data, dude. This is one where you get what you pay for. Preamps range from $80 to $4000+ per channel. I hear what you're saying, but you must give numbers. One man's "decent" preamp is another man's worthless hunk of junk.-Richie

I have been told that the Peavey VMP-2 is an awsome all-tube preamp for the price....around $700. I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

For entrance money, look at the M-Audio DMP3 (about $80 / channel x 2 channels). It's pretty nice for the money - a big improvement on standard fare (under $800) mixer preamps. The company is now releasing their 8-channel Octane preamp, essentially the same thing in a bigger box, 8 channels, 2 of which are also wired with high impedance (guitar direct) inputs and a few other doodads. That's about $800. You could get more headroom and still make a mixer earn its keep.

Then, of course, there's Focusrite, Grace, Universal Audio, zero point variable rate mortgages, and so on... :cool:

Back