decent mic2200 settings?

Cwadroon

don't attack me, I'm just looking for some input on getting a nice vocal setting with this thing. Any thoughts? Besides taking a hammmer to it because its made by Behringer.

Cwadroon said:
don't attack me, I'm just looking for some input on getting a nice vocal setting with this thing. Any thoughts? Besides taking a hammmer to it because its made by Behringer.

ultragain pro mic2200?
we need more info to help you:
What microphone are you using, do you connect your pre to a -10dBv or a +4dBu input, are you going direct to disc/tape or are you going through any kind of mixer/effect? Did you read the manual?
You can get decent results with this pre, but of course its not a neve...
Harald

I have it hooked up right to the soundcard rightnow, but have a mixer as well effect racks, but am not using them right now, yes, ultragain pro, I have everything off on the pre except the phantom power, I turn the gain up to about 15db, and the output at around 8db, everything in between makes the sound to tinny except the eq. Thanks for your reply

Cwadroon said:
I have it hooked up right to the soundcard rightnow, but have a mixer as well effect racks, but am not using them right now, yes, ultragain pro, I have everything off on the pre except the phantom power, I turn the gain up to about 15db, and the output at around 8db, everything in between makes the sound to tinny except the eq. Thanks for your reply

what soundcard? Does it have
1)balanced or unbalanced inputs
2)+4dBa or -10dbv(consumerlevel)?
3)What cables do you use to connect the pre to your soundcard?
4)where is the levelmeter in your recording software/mixer application peaking (preferably in db)?
5)Do the leds on your preamp light up? if so, what color? yellow is cool, red is too much. When the clipping light goes red, you should back off the gain. Leave the output control at 0 and try to adjust with the knob labeled mic gain until the leds reach the +3 or maybe +6 mark. Then adjust with the output gain to have the signal peaking at about -6 db in your soundcard (check with your levelmeters in the software). After this you might have to readjust the mic gain a bit.
Are you using a condensor mic (i suppose so, as you said you have the phantom switch engaged)?

condensor mic, going into isis soundcard, don't know if it as balanced inputs, using an xlr to 1/4 inch cable from the pre to the soundcard. Levels all apear fine in software, but quite low on led on the pre.

try using a ts cable (mono 1/4 plug on both ends, aka guitar cable), using the 1/4 jack on the back of the ultragain. When you use the xlr outs the mic2200 thinks it goes into balanced input, but pin 3 goes directly to ground on the soundcard in and you get only half the level.
hope that this helps
Harald

Cwadroon said:
Besides taking a hammmer to it because its made by Behringer.

something about that sentance which doesn't sound right. this is a typical example of the amount of hype which people follow. one person says behringer suck when it being directed mainly to a mixer or something, and everyone else follows.

Behringer do make some great stuff. their composer probably being one of the best. it's unbelievably good value and it's found homes in alot of pro racks and a good 70% of live audio rigs. they actaully do have some good gear out, you just have to try and see.

dont just slag off behringer just because "it's made by behringer". have you actaully USED their other gear...

LongWave, no I haven't used much of their other gear, and I plan on trying some of their other stuff I was only reffering to the amount of people in here who put Behringer down. Fending off the attacks before they came so to speak.

Re: Re: decent mic2200 settings?

LongWaveStudio said:

Behringer do make some great stuff. their composer probably being one of the best. it's unbelievably good value and it's found homes in alot of pro racks and a good 70% of live audio rigs. they actaully do have some good gear out, you just have to try and see.

dont just slag off behringer just because "it's made by behringer". have you actaully USED their other gear...

thanks for the love Wave,

yours truly,
The Behringer man! ;)

:D :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Back