Decent headphones

what do you need the headphones for: monitoring, recording, general use etc... there are different types (semi closed, semi aural, sealed) it gets confusing. If you're looking for quality cheap headphones go for Samson, they're made in China but they're really good. Otherwise, save up your money for some AKG's, Sony's or Sennheisers....you'll be glad you did!

I use the AKG K240s monitoring headphones, It's one of my favorite pieces of gear. I never realized how comfortable headphones could be!!

A.

For tracking/recording purposes in the same room(so a really good isolated one), what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Guhlenn

ps. sorry to steal your thread, but hey, at least it's the same category... LOL ;)

anything with a closed back will do. The industry standard as of lately seems to be the Sony pro mdr-7506, the sennheiser hd-280 model is similair these are both pricey though. The audio technica at-m30 like $50 bucks and will give you the isolation you need.

But check around, different people/different ears. So if you can, go to a dealer and try them out.

hope that helps!

Adam

I second the Sony MDR-7506. I have 3 pairs. Good reproduction. The only caveat is that it has a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter that is easily broken. I've replaced the original plugs with Switchcraft 1/4" plugs and haven't had a worry since.

thanks! I'll check em out!

btw; they are reasonably priced... 140,- isn't that bad really...

adam_in_audio said:
what do you need the headphones for: monitoring, recording, general use etc...

I will be using them for pretty much everything, including mixing.. yes I know it is not recommended, but the room I rec/mix in is shit acoustically, so buying 400$ speakers wouldn't really be worth it IMO.

Mixing on headphones can be extremely deceptive. Even if your room is bad acoustically, a decent pair of near field monitors would be a wise investment, along with the headphones.

I use the Sony 7506 and also the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs. The AT's seem a little bit closer to what I hear coming out of the monitors than the Sony's.

SonicAlbert said:
Mixing on headphones can be extremely deceptive. Even if your room is bad acoustically, a decent pair of near field monitors would be a wise investment, along with the headphones.

So is there anything cheap but decent out there? Preferably active.

Koss Porta Pro?? Surely not?

I don't know where you are, but a fella named Deepwater on this forum is a Wharfedale dealer, and (at least up until recently) was offering the active 8.2 monitors for $275, which sounds like a BARGAIN, given the reviews I've read (elsewhere on the forum).

As for headphones, I also use the AKG 240s. I like 'em, and continue to use them, but sometimes I feel they are just a wee bit scooped out and bass heavy, but that's just my impression. I used to use Sony CD250s, which I still find myself double checking with as their bass is a bit tighter and forward sounding. The 240s smoke them in terms of separation and treble.

Also, believe it or not, the Koss Porta Pro: bass too extended for monitoring purposes, really, but a very balanced and listenable midrange, decent top end, and overall pretty flat response. Cool design, too.

Sonic albert;

You don't think the sony is better then the AT? (the AT is cheaper where I live...) I will be usng them for tracking in the same room and checking mixes...

G

ok,
i got some FOSTEX headphones and i really like them,
i also got sennheisers, but they never sound as nice as my fostex stuff,
and feels like F can handle more sound pressure in general.

i don't own ONE pair of HP's that go loud enough or have enough isolation...

i'm working with drummers, and i record in ONE room, so i'm looking for

EXTREME ISOLATION headphones,,, i know they excist , at least, the name excists.... but do they REALLY isolate lots of noize ?

i can not believe that they do an awesome job,
can anyone convince me ?

(that kinda stuff is real hard to get in Belgium, i always have to let it ship from the states....so i don't care about a price, but the quality has to be DECENT...... what about those with built-in noize reduction ? does it really work , or are they a joke ?)

regards,
earworm

I have a pair of Sennheiser 280's. They're OK. They're getting a bit ringy. I'd consider Fostex. They are used in professional studios and have received great reviews. I believe the latest models are the RP20's/40's/50's. Check which is a closed back, if you need total isolation.

I have a set of Extreme Isolation phones that I bought from Warren Dent at FrontEndAudio.

These really do isolate a huge amount of noise. Far more than the multiple sets of the "More Me" phones I bought from Harvey. To be very clear, the intent is entirely different. The More-Me phones do an excellent job in a studio where all the talent is on a headphone distribution amp system.

The Extreme Isolation phones are great when you have to track/hear in the same environment as the generated noise. I use mine for live mixing purposes. As effective as it gets.

Back