Decent Budget Monitors?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
I currently use regular Bose PC speakers for monitors and would like to step it up a notch with real recording monitors.
I figure anything's better than what I'm using!
Can anyone recommend some halfway decent monitors for under 200 bucks?

You won't get any decent nearfield monitors for $200. Save up another $200 or more and go visit your local music store. Bring yourself a Pink floyd cd and listen to the differences of the available nearfields. Choose the one that sounds best to you because it will be your ears using them.

NYMorningstar said:
You won't get any decent nearfield monitors for $200. Save up another $200 or more and go visit your local music store. Bring yourself a Pink floyd cd and listen to the differences of the available nearfields. Choose the one that sounds best to you because it will be your ears using them.

the voice of reason and sense....i applaud thee. hold on to the 200 and add another hundred or 2 to it...your choices and quality of choices will improve...but check out www.americanmusical.com they have an easy payment plan so you can pay it in 3 payments instead of all at once. take a look into that. thats how i buy any gear over 250 cause i usually dont have that on me and i dont have the patience to wait until i get all the money.

i'm sorry but i have to disagree with folks that feel they need very expensive monitors. a recording engr in LA put me on to this when i saw him mix years ago on small monitors and a variety of playback mediums.
he was using auratone cubes, home hi fi speakers, NS10's,phones, earbuds,
mono spkrs, car speakers and checking his mixes on each one.
he knew way more than i ever will in this life. what i basically learned from him was there is no perfect monitor no matter how much money one spends.
so i would suggest to mirrors a combination of what he used to check his mixes with.
and maybe a pair of yorkvilles.
no flames please -mthis is just my personal opinion.
ive also had extensive discussions with AES folks more knowledgeable than i on this issue. as always though even the AES pro's disagree with each other as well i found !!

manning1 said:
i'm sorry but i have to disagree with folks that feel they need very expensive monitors. a recording engr in LA put me on to this when i saw him mix years ago on small monitors and a variety of playback mediums.
he was using auratone cubes, home hi fi speakers, NS10's,phones, earbuds,
mono spkrs, car speakers and checking his mixes on each one.
he knew way more than i ever will in this life. what i basically learned from him was there is no perfect monitor no matter how much money one spends.
so i would suggest to mirrors a combination of what he used to check his mixes with.
and maybe a pair of yorkvilles.
no flames please -mthis is just my personal opinion.
ive also had extensive discussions with AES folks more knowledgeable than i on this issue. as always though even the AES pro's disagree with each other as well i found !!
Yeah....I had a pair of $300 M-Audios once that performed well. Got a set of KRK V6 and they were worse than the m-audios but $400 more. Then got a set of yorkies that sounded better than the previous two. Still use the yorkies and a set of M-audio BX8. Also tie into the home system for reference.

Back