Dear Icarus... our best one yet

Bisson820

Check it out out guys... im very happy with this so far!!!

as always, i am looking forward to your suggestions and feedback.

I like it. Are you saying you recording the whole song/band using only 1 room mic? if so this is a very good mix

It's a pretty good mix. Most everything cuts through well, and you have some interesting production ideas.

My one big nit is that when the backing vocals kick in, they bury the lead a bit, especially on the chorus.

I thought it sounded real good. Real clean sounds on everything.

Only a few nits...

One is the bass tone is kind of sterile. Missing lots of low-midrange. Personal taste thing.

The other thing is when the distorted guitars hit at the beginning of the chorus. I wanted them to knock me over. But they just sort of come in as another instrument. Not the "umph" I wanted.

Maybe bump up the level of the drum overheads? It's kind of dominated by the kick and snare. Mostly the snare.

All minor things.

Jasgav - no recorded in normal studio fashion, i was saying during the "acapella" one that i posted its just all the vocal tracks and one of the room mics that was on the kit so you could hear the drums a bit too.

Sixer - Thank you!

Steve - you even think so during the full song? because during the a capella one i boosted the backing vocals a bit since there was no other music. and could you elaborate on the "interesting" production ideas? :P

Triple - thanks for the feedback, i agree with the snare being dominant thing, i am more the type to back off something thats too loud rather than pumping something taht doesnt seem as loud. i think the symbol crashes are at a pretty good volume, but i will deff be addressing it .

NIce work,

I agree the snare is in front of the vox listening here. I'd just lower that snare a bit.

Other than that sounds great!

I agree with the other comments. I'm wondering if you mixed this at high volumes without doing a double check at low listening levels. None the less, minor tweaks here and there and it's good to go.

Gotta say, the title caught my attention and made me want to check out the song. That's what you want and I wasn't disappointed.

Good job!!! :)

I didn't mean "interesting" in a bad way! I meant that you've got enough variety in the production to keep things interesting, especially on the bridge.

Yeah, the lead vox being quiet is a lot more pronounced in the "a capella" version. You can really hear him backing off the mic when he yells there. It's probably not a game-breaker on the full mix, but it's noticeable.

isnt backing off the mic a bit when you're singing a significant amount of dbs louder called good mic dynamics, or is there another way of doing it?

isnt backing off the mic a bit when you're singing a significant amount of dbs louder called good mic dynamics, or is there another way of doing it?

I think it is called good mic technique. I personally don't have any problems with the vocals overall - I always like the quality you get. I know that you don't like input on parts and style decisions - but IMO that the phrase a different singer does in that growly scream constipated vedder voice in the background should be removed from recorded history. It sounds like some random incoherent dude wandered in, shouted something and stumbled back out.

Well you were right about me not usually liking composition suggestions.

Thanks for the quality compliment tho.

Opinions are like assholes anyway..

This forum is just chock full of them?

Backing off from the mic is usually considered good mic technique, but you can overdo it to. I would assume that the general rule is to get your louder vocal parts to be slightly louder than the quiet parts by backing off; here it sounds like they're a little quieter based on the alternate mix.

This forum is just chock full of them?

Backing off from the mic is usually considered good mic technique, but you can overdo it to. I would assume that the general rule is to get your louder vocal parts to be slightly louder than the quiet parts by backing off; here it sounds like they're a little quieter based on the alternate mix.

VHS - for the record - I was referring to myself and my own opinion! as in "everyone's got one and no one wants to hear anyone elses"....

Back