Dear competent VS840 use, please have mercy on me!!

BillyKid

Hi, I would have used a smilie if they had one that looked like someone begging. I have had my 840 since they first came out. I have made a bunch of recordings, but must confess to being a total idiot. I KNOW you can make terrific recordings with these thing, but clearly, I am doing something wrong.

I recently tried deducing from the demo tape that came with it what they are doing right and I am doing wrong. I can not record anything that sounds remotely that good (musicianship aside). I have struggled on stubbornly, unwilling to ask for help. I tried applying the effect they used on demo song "Mercy Blue" to a dry recording of my own and routing the same effect in the same way it appears to be routed "loop:dir:off" on the demo and I get, essentially, nothing. Clearly, when you route these effects directly to a track, you get junk, but when used for the over all demo mix using "loop:dir:off" it sounds just fine.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but could someone please, please, tell me specifically how to set up an effect (say, preset reverb + reverb U15, which is used on Mercy Blue) and get a decent result? I am assuming I can just easy route and record dry and then add the effect at mixdown and get the same result. Please write me at lcarkuff@stny.rr.com Thanks sincerely, doug

when you say you "get, essentially, nothing." do you mean you cant hear the reverb? shot in the dark here but do you have the effects send turned up for the channel you want to apply reverb to? also the effects return. if you dont have these turned up you wont hear the reverb

Hmmmm...

Try using loop:dir:on-

Then you can adjust the "Effect Level" on each individual track.
"Don't forget the effect return" button, for the overall effect level.

I use reverbs and such as a loop:dir:on, but most of the effects should be used as an "Insert" effect: That way it's delivered only to the track you select with the "Effect" button. That's what you want with a guitar or mic sim, especially when tracking.

When you're in mixdown mode, the "Stereo Multi" patch is good for applying reverb, etc. to the whole mix.

:cool:

Back