Dean Cadillac, anyone?

beaverbiscuit

Hey y'all, I was reading stratman's thread about Les Paul alternatives, and I was very close to buying a Jay Turser or an Agile. But yesterday while doing a search on LP copies I ran across a dealership that carries a couple of models of the Dean Cadillac, the Select and the X. Looks to me like it's basically an LP with a different upper bout and headstock, along with some other cosmetic changes. Anyone know anything about them?

Also, any of youse Cincinnati folks have a favorite guitar shop you'd care to tout? I'm going there this week on a mini-vacation, and I thought I'd check out some places while my wife is doing the conference thing.

Thanks, y'all.

I played a Dean Cadillac back in the early 80's and it was awesome. I don't know if the new ones are the same.

I'm going to do some research.

Thanks, eyes. Yeah, I'm probably going to have to go with the less expensive foreign model, much as I would love an American one. Those two in the links look really sweet, too, but I'm constrained by a pretty tight budget. Maybe I'll get the real deal one day when I'm old and gray. :rolleyes:

Cincinnati - Guitar Center has a good selection of PRS, Gibson, Fender, some high end acoustics, and imports (unless of course, you have one in your home town it would probably be deja vu).

Maschinot's is right across the river in Ky., I bought a guit there several years ago, as I remember they had a decent selection.

The coolest store to just go and drool if you like to look at vintage gear is Mike's Music on Vine street.

I haven't been to every store in town, but I can't think of any of the other independent stores that stand out, a couple of stores that used to have a lot of stock have really cut back over the last couple of decades. If you are staying on the north end of the Cincy area, Dayton Oh ( about 30 min from northern cincy) used to have a pretty decent store up there, I think it is called Hauer's, with maybe the word superstore behind it...there are also a couple pawn shops on Salem ave ( and elsewhere)if you were to make the Dayton trip that might have a couple interesting overpriced pieces.

I have cut back on my music store "window shopping" in the last few years, so I may be missing a great store. I mostly go to Guitar Center for things like strings and accessories; they have great prices and lots of stock. If you run into a great store while you're here, let me know.

Mike's on short Vine is the only place I'd waste vacation at...

You can go to a Guitar Center anywhere, and the ones in Cincinnati are particulary snobby

Why'd you want to come to Cincinnati for a vacation?

Certainly not to see the Reds.......

:)

Chrisjob said:
Mike's on short Vine is the only place I'd waste vacation at...

You can go to a Guitar Center anywhere, and the ones in Cincinnati are particulary snobby

Why'd you want to come to Cincinnati for a vacation?

Certainly not to see the Reds.......

:)
Hey Chrisjob (and Major Tom, too), sorry for the late reply. I couldn't access the bbs all day Wednesday, and I was in Cincy until late yesterday afternoon.

I never got past the first music store I went to, which was Willis Music at the Northgate Mall off of Colerain. I bought a Dean EVO Select w/gig bag for $370, and I love it already. The maple top is a quilted sunburst finish — very sweet. And the guy who sold it to me was originally from my town, so we shot the breeze and enjoyed the time I was there. Most times I hate dealing with salesfolks, but this guy was cool. Next time I'm in Cincy I'll have to check out Mike's.

And no, I wasn't in town to see the Reds, since I'm a Cardinals fan :D . My wife teaches at Montessori Academy, and the American Montessori Society's national conference was held at the Convention Center in Covington (the one that connects across the street to the Mariott). I ended up going to Eastgate Mall (that was a big pain in the ass), where I tried out my first Seagull acoustic at the Willis Music branch there. Pretty nice. Oh, and I took a few wrong turns trying to find Mt. Adams and ended up in the middle of downtown Cincy. I didn't stop to ask directions. . . . :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new axe, I was at the mall the other day and stopped at Willis to waste some time, I didn't play any but the Deans look sweet...

Major Tom said:
Congrats on the new axe, I was at the mall the other day and stopped at Willis to waste some time, I didn't play any but the Deans look sweet...
Yeah, they had a bunch over at Northgate. I thought about playing one of the American models, but I decided not to get myself sidetracked since I can't afford one right now. And the Willis store at Eastgate had a pretty nice collection of acoustics. I tried my first Seagull there, and it was a nice little guitar. I wish the music stores here in E'ville were as accomodating as the Willis stores.

Back