Dealing with P and B burst in post

tanacea

I have a project I am working on that was tracked live. There are moments where the p and b bursts are a bit excessive. I have a few ideas as to how I am going to approach them, but I am interested in knowing if there is anyone who has experience with this particular scenario. Any parting wisdom or suggestions before I tackle this?

You already got one way to attack it in that other dusty thread; I'd just like to point out two other ways of skinning that same cat. They all will work equally well, it's just a matter of which technique/tool you're most comfortable with using.

You've already read the automation version. Depending upon what your editor offers, you could also use a pencil tool to simply re-draw that plosive peak, or highlight the peak on the timeline and either use a pull-down volume control to knock the volume of the plosive down by x number of dB (my personal favorite), or even mute the highlighted area altogether, if appropriate.

G.

You can also automate a high pass filter, to cut lows only during the plosives.

Another approach is to set up a sidechain input to a compressor, copy the vocal track to anotherr audio track and use that as the input to the sidechain. Boost the offending frequencies on the copied track. Now, whenever those plosives hit, the vocal track's level will be reduced.

You'll have to play with the settings a bit. It's very similar to how you set up a de-esser (before de-essers were everywhere!)

Back