Dealers retailers etc...

No, they get an employee discount like most retail jobs. If they got stuff at cost they could sell it outside of work.

gordone said:
I'm not too sure about the sales tax thing - I'm sure it varies by state (of course, it's state sales tax) but I believe in Pennsylvania, to be exempt for sales tax you have to
-Be buying for a non-profit organization (and accredited by the IRS as such!)
-Be buying for resale (which probably wouldn't apply to GC anyway)

That's been my experience with state tax as well. If you are using the item in your business, you pay tax. If the item is for resale, or to be used in the manufacture of a product, then no sales tax. You can claim the sales tax as a deduction as part of the purchase price on your income taxes (at least in my state).

thegatekeeper said:
If you work at guitar center can you buy the gear at cost? All the gear from high end down, can you get them at cost?

Not, its cost + pack on everything except monster and mogami cables

mjr said:
I've discovered another good time to go is when GC has their "mega sales" like Memorial Day Weekend & such.

Thats the BEST day to make GP, honestly, go a few days before and tell the sales guy you cant make it on that day for some reason, they'll usually sell you stuff for the sale prices. Or you can do what i do "I want this, but Im only paying this much for it, because your cost is only this much" That usually works every time.

-C$
EX-GC store 510 :D

djhead said:
Especially susceptable are Pro Audio and Keyboard guys.

Yea, that was me, I was Live Sound, that shit was hard to get rid of good big ticket items. I had to talk to club owners outside of work, tell them I could design a better PA setup for the club and give them a huge discount.

I made pretty fgood money that way, I quit right after they made me dept manager, lol got so much free shit that week from the promotion/motu training etc, then said, "SEE YA!"

LOL, sometimes I miss that job, but then I think about how much I make now, and laugh..

-C$

yeah, I made really good commiss since phoenix is a boom town, but then was dept manager, and got all the same free training and gear. It was sweet Even got to go to NAMM once. Only thing is miss is bone cost on high end shizzle

djhead said:
yeah, I made really good commiss since phoenix is a boom town, but then was dept manager, and got all the same free training and gear. It was sweet Even got to go to NAMM once. Only thing is miss is bone cost on high end shizzle

There are aa few ppl there who still give me all the discounts if i go to 510. So i usually go to them ;)

-C$

The mark up at music stores is horrible... First I bought a mic with a $80 price tag for $40, went home and it was listed $35-40..... Second I bought a M-audio pre mobile with a free condenser mic and shockmount $150, at the store $200, shockmount was 40.... Third I bought a mic stand for 13.95 it was between 25-40 at various stores... Then there was a pair of headphone for $20 on sale, checked it out online $10.......... I now go to musicians friends and zzzzsounds for everything.......

too all you gc guys, what do you think would be the lowest price they would give me on a d112 and a musashi oak snare ?(hahah sorry i just felt it was a good time to ask ;) )

tbone36109 said:
too all you gc guys, what do you think would be the lowest price they would give me on a d112 and a musashi oak snare ?(hahah sorry i just felt it was a good time to ask ;) )

Depends who you talk to, start the D112 around 150 (almost cost, maybe alittle below) Just say something like, "I only have a limited budget but I really want this mic"

The musashi oak snare, not sure, I didnt work in drums, but cut the price back about 35%, use the same line aboiut a limited budget, and ask if he could help you out a little. If he givesd you the "guaranteed lowest price" bullshit, go to another salesperson, his price will drop if you do that ;)

-C$

thegatekeeper said:
how much do you think I can pick up a midas venice 320 and 2 apogee ad16x

Not sure about the midas, but the markup on the ad16x isnt that much, best theyll probably do for you is 2800 or so each. Its worth a try, always p[lay the poor but I REALLY REALLY want this. :) It helps

thegatekeeper said:
haha a good thread idea might be a guitar center price quote and thanks for answering my question cyanide

lol, NP. I know how badley they rip people off ;)

-C$

cyanide, you said you worked in live sound. How much do you think raw parts to make a w4 trunk would be. Both mass connectors, the trunk itselft roughly at 150' and the crimp tools.

Back