Dead or sick keys.

desertrose

Has anyone's keys ever suddenly died or won't play properly...like in the case of one of my bass note's where the touch sensitivity seems to not be working and as a result it's glaringly loud even when you press it gently. It's not too much of a problem...just means I have to avoid playing in that key, or else get real creative trying to avoid it.
On my other keyboard, relegated to the garage now to collect dust, two keys just don't work at all.
Just wondering whether or not it's horrendously expensive to get these sorts of thing repaired and whether to just go get a new one is the better option.

These things are relatively easy to fix if you have a practiced hand.

You need to deduce the trouble (i.e., is it dirty contacts, broken contacts, failed solid state components etc.)

Then you need to take action.

If you've never done this kind of thing before, you can either go to school on your gear (with the knowledge that you could fry it), or let someone that knows how, fix it while you play surgical nurse. (to learn the ropes).

I was always kinda bold so I always take matters into my own hands. Never lost a patient yet.

Carl

dead or sick keys

I've got a Roland HP 800 with some dead keys and would like to keep the keyboard and fix those keys. They depress as usual but no sound is produced.

But:

How do get around the warning "Do not open, risk of electric shock"? How do you deactivate that potential shock-without getting shocked!

Obviously, I'm not good at simple techie stuff like that and would appreciate some tips.

Thanks..........................Ted

Ted, my husband has opened up my keyboard ( by my request :) ) and as long as it's ( obviously) not plugged IN you can have a look inside quite safely.
As for what you DO once you're in there, well this is the hard part.
Obviously the previous poster ( and thankyou for your reply btw) is more experienced with electronics but to the ordinary person it's just a maze of wires and we didn't have a clue as to pinpoint the problem.
I have a feeling it's going to be one best left up to the experts, in my case anyway.

You can still get a nasty shock from an unplugged appliance if there's a charged capacitor in it!:eek:

Once you unplug something, turn on the power switch before opening it up. That should discharge any caps that are waiting to zap you.

Carl

ooh, can you ? Don't listen to me then Ted ! Charged capacitator. Ok, will have to add that to my list of things to watch out for- just kidding ;) I think we will steer clear of these electronic things.
Hey, I wonder if that somehow explains why one of my keyboards wouldn't turn OFF one day.
Well, actually, it seemingly turned ON by itself and no matter what we did, unplugging it even it was still lit up like a christmas tree....

Thanks for the tips folks-But I still have cold feet (and hands ) about anything that has to do with electricity.!

Maybe I'll work up the guts to open it this weekend. The keys that are dead are around middle C. That's also where ,I think, some erasure particles might have filtered thru the keys and concentrated, blocking some contacts. I'm hoping that a god cleaning might solve the problem-once I get the blasted thing open!

Thanks again.....................Ted

Back