De magnatising and cleaning heads.

Mr Fruit

Hello chaps.

I have recently, purchased a fostex r8, and a fostex 812 mixer.

I have not owned any recording equippment before, but have been around it in a studio setting, as a guitarist.(awaits jokes)

So, a couple of questions from a newbie.

In my R8 manual, it says you should clead the heads with pure alcohol(what a waste), and you should de magnetise them every 8 hours, to get the best sound.

Do people really do this? if so, what do i need to do it?

also, does anyone know where to download the manual for the 812 mixer?

thanks in advance....

Clean heads are critical for any tape recording machine. I clean the heads every time I change a tape. De-magnitizing the heads greatly reduces tape hiss. Most of the people on this site are more inclined toward digital recording (I'm old school and still prefer tape) so be prepaired to get asked, "Why don't you just use your computer?"

Clean heads are critical for any tape recording machine. I clean the heads every time I change a tape. De-magnitizing the heads greatly reduces tape hiss. Most of the people on this site are more inclined toward digital recording (I'm old school and still prefer tape) so be prepaired to get asked, "Why don't you just use your computer?"

ive got a computer, but i work on it during the day, so the last thing i want to do start working on it during the night.

how do you de magnatise the heads? i presume you have to have some special tool or other......

i do have a guide to it in the back of my manual, but it didnt really specify what you used to do it....:rolleyes:

thanks for the help BTW

Demagnitizers are a small, hand held electronic device that is slowly passed over the heads (never touch the heads, just pass over them slowly). Since analog is not as common as it once was, demagnitizers may not be on the shelf of the local Best Buy or Walmart, but if you go to a electronic supply store or any store the specializes in audio equipment you should be able to either find or order one (Radio Shack may still have them as a catalog item). I'm sure a Google search will reveal numerous options.

I have not bought one in years (I have 2 or 3 that I've owned forever) - but if memory serves, they used to be in the $20-$30 range.

For de-magging, the one, the only, the old industry standard:

The RB Annis Han-D-Mag. Not cheap, but the only one you will ever need. Very powerful, so FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER, or you can cause damage to electronics.

99% alcohol for the tape path and heads, cleaned best with chamois cloth (get it cheap from a sewing/materials store.) NOT for the rubber pinch roller; it will dry out the rubber over time.

For the roller, Caig CaiCleen conditioner is excellent.

Best of luck,
C.

Back