dbx parts?

ranjam

Hey! I have a question, and this may be the wrong place to ask, but I am desperate. I have a dbx 386, and it has a sheared potentiometer. I have no idea where to get a replacement. I don't want to deal with dbx themselves for reasons too long winded and boring. But suffice to say if anyone knows who else may have a suitable control, I'm all ears. Any Mouser part number, or even a website, would be much appreciated. It's a basic 16mm PCB mount control with a 'D' shaft. Thanks.

i never have problems with dbx pr other harmon group for that matter... but anyhow... look for a manufacturers name and part # will likely need to remove it to see...

Well I have trouble with Harmon. Maybe it's because I'm an a**hole, who knows ;). I do know I am in Canada, and dbx tell me they don't sell parts or schematics to anyone. I'm supposed to send my 386 to them for repair. Just from past experience (I am a slow learner, but eventually I do learn), adding up shipping, currency exchange, their labor rate$, and then shipping back plus import duty and taxes to get my own preamp back into the counry :mad: means it's not exaggerating too much to say I'll be paying a couple of hundreds bucks when all is said and done. This to change an 80¢ potentiometer? I can do it as long as I know what the heck to order and from who. Mouser or Newark must have. All I know right now is it is an Alps pot and looking through 912 pages online :( tells me the Alps part number will start with RK163111. I'll get it eventually.

Well I have trouble with Harmon. Maybe it's because I'm an a**hole, who knows ;). I do know I am in Canada, and dbx tell me they don't sell parts or schematics to anyone. I'm supposed to send my 386 to them for repair. Just from past experience (I am a slow learner, but eventually I do learn), adding up shipping, currency exchange, their labor rate$, and then shipping back plus import duty and taxes to get my own preamp back into the counry :mad: means it's not exaggerating too much to say I'll be paying a couple of hundreds bucks when all is said and done. This to change an 80¢ potentiometer? I can do it as long as I know what the heck to order and from who. Mouser or Newark must have. All I know right now is it is an Alps pot and looking through 912 pages online :( tells me the Alps part number will start with RK163111. I'll get it eventually.
I don't know if you're an a**hole, but you do seem a little grumpy...

At my age it's called bitter and jaded. I understand manufacturers who don't want people screwing with their products, but this is out of warranty. All I want are the parts! I'm not asking for the Colonel's secret recipe or the formula for Coke. I always place a heavy emphasis on the 'fact' that'll gladly pay out the wazoo for original parts to keep this thing kosher, and that usually works. Not with dbx for some reason. But it ain't a home-made dbx pot; it's just an Alps. I'll find one before I'm dead. Luckily I have a few other preamps to tide me over until that day arrives.

Back