dbx 586 or rnp

Solafide

I can get a good deal on a used 586 with installed NOS tubes. It would be fair bit less than the rnp. I have read a lot of varied reviews on the 586 pres, from great praise (Prorec), to mediocre.

I have a grace 101 (very happy with)

Voicemaster pro (very happy with)

dbx 386 (i like the converters, the pre works ok for some things, but not others)

I want a pre that is two channel, and it seems that the 586 is quite a bit better than the 386

If the 586 can hold its own with the rnp, then I wouldn't mind saving some bucks.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. Neither pre will be better, they'll just be different.

I would have snatched up the 586 for the price, but I have heard very little good about it, but most of this "bad press", seemed to come from people that had never used it, or were accustomed to much more expensive gear.

But if the pre sounds only marginally better than my 386, I would save my money.

Have you used the 586?

Solafide said:
I can get a good deal on a used 586...

Personally, I really don't like the 500-series dbx stuff I've tried (or the 300-series). If you can get it super cheap, though, why not buy it, try it, and e-bay it if you don't like it?

well I decided against the 586.

I want to get something with charactor, and replace my dbx 386.

I am looking at the spl goldmike or the tlaudio pm-1. Any views on these preamps, or suggestions?

Back