dbx 266 xl compressor

Rassoodocks

The opportunity has arisen to purchase the dbx 266xl compressor... i've tried it for guitar... but not bass... the reviews say it's HORRIBLE for bass.. basically i'm looking for a compressor that'll deal with guitars and bass.... the dbx 266xl has BAD reviews... so, has anyone got anything to say contrary to this and, for the application intended, what is a good reasonabley priced compressor/gate ?

Thanks in advance,
Rory.

Rasso - the new Behringer Composer Pro XL. Same sort of price, and even the many Behri haters admit that compressors is the one thing they do well. I've got one and am delighted with it.

Garry

yeah, i've been having a look at behringer compressors.. it's going to be mainly used for bass for recording/live work... They look good... i'm also a fan of fmr gear... fmr gear has GREAT reviews and people on this board love them.. i even saw harvey gerst give it a wrap.. so... but obviously, for 400 dollars, one channel of compressor... however, i'm undecided whether i should go for quality this time instead of the cost effective option... If anyone has any comments or suggestions, i'm open... The autocomp pro looks ok for the application, although, i've read reviews that complain it's really noisy...

Rory.

No no no, the FMR compresser isn't $400, and it's not one channel! It's the PRE-AMP (the RNP) that sells for over $400. The RNC, on the other hand, is a stereo compressor that sells brand new for about $170-$175, shipped and everything! But if you might have use for a gate/expander, or any other features found on the Behringer models, they're worth looking into.

And if you like the Behringer compressors, it's also worth looking into the older models that are being blown out right now. You can get a brand new Autocom Pro for $70, or a Composer Pro for $90. And if you don't mind an "open box" item, or even a used one, they can be had for like $50. Check out www.zzounds.com/a--2676837 and www.samedaymusic.com. They have a number available, but probably not for long. I see that the used and opened Autocom Pros are already gone, but they have some Composer Pros for $70! It's a lot better than paying the $110 for the new Composer Pro XL! You don't get the tube emulator, but everyone says it sucks anyway, so who cares! :)

That said though, there ARE a number of different features in these different Behringers, so it's worth looking at what you think you'll need the most. If you're mainly going to be using it for guitar/bass stuff, you don't need the de-esser, which is the main addition to the Composer Pro XL, along with the tube emulator. You could just get the Composer Pro, so that you have the better gate/limiter (as compared to the Autocom Pro), and not waste your money on a unit that only adds useless things like the enhancer, the de-esser, and the tooby thingy.

Compressors all have there own sound. The 266XL is a decent compressor and it can work great on bass too.

In most situations I prefer it over the Composer which sounds less transparent than the DBX.

tomleblanc.. i'm in australia.. so it's 400ish over here for the fmr compressor...

the dbx sounds fine for guitar, works well... going to test it with bass tonight... if that doesn't work out.. i may end up getting a behringer... it's going to be mainly for bass.. i might however, use it for guitar.. maybe even vocals... but i'm not all that keen on putting too many things on the signal on the way in... i like to deal with it once it's on there...

i'll look into the used behringers.. sounds a good deal.

Rory.

I've got a 266XL and use it for bass all the time. I haven't had any issues with it. I haven't like the sound for guitar as much as bass, but that is what I have tweaked. Anyway, just listen.

ok... last night, i tried the dbx with bass... it was as the reviews said....hopeless... i guess, in the really light compression settings it was reasonable.. but when it was squashed... which is more than likely, what you want for bass... especially busy bass, you could hear it working... not only breathing, but clicking as it tried to compress the signal.... it was ok for guitar.. it smoothed out my overdrive channels, but bass.. was yucky...

i think i'll get an fmr... seems like that compressor will double up as a good vocal compressor also...

Thanks for the help.... Does anyone have any experience with the dbx 266xl that is contrary to my experience ? Please share.

NOPE!

I have 2 DBX266xls and the RNC, and I have never used the DBXs since.

I have NEVER gotton what I consider a good sound on Bass. By the time you hit it soft enough to be not crapping you may as well not have it turned on.

The work OK on some tracks, but never as good as the RNC so I dont bother trying unless the situation calls for 4 to 6 compressors at once.

By the way I have 2 DBX 266 xlrs for sale cheap! Lightly used!
$150 for the pair shipped in the US.

I have the older version of this, the 266A, which is the same without
the balanced I/O. My Composer Pro runs circles around it.

Back