DBX 163X and 463X

ozraves

The DBX 163X is a compressor/limiter. The 463X is a gate. The cool thing is that if they are hooked together with a TRS you can slave one off the other and have a stereo compressor/limiter or a stereo gate.

I recently got these. They are used. They come in DBX rack configuration and fit side by side to file a 1RU space.

Some people consider the 163X to be the best bass compressor/limiter ever. I disagree with this sentiment. I find these pieces to be decent for screwing up sounds in the lo fi sort of way. If you want something that'll sort of destruct your sounds with compression/limiting or gating then these should be for you. Some people recommend that you send these to Jim Williams for modification.

I'll post pictures later.

I will ship these to your door for $99 which includes insurance.

Obviously you're right: they're not the "best bass compressor/limiter" ever (well...maybe they are to those folks who haven't tried high end compressors to compare).

But I REALLY like my 163x's; they provide an audiophile like me just enough compression for a nice sparkle (for a lack of a better term) and for the $40-50 used priced tag, they really are a steal...as are the old Ashly & Symetric units too.

ozraves said:
The DBX 163X is a compressor/limiter. The 463X is a gate. The cool thing is that if they are hooked together with a TRS you can slave one off the other and have a stereo compressor/limiter or a stereo gate.

I recently got these. They are used. They come in DBX rack configuration and fit side by side to file a 1RU space.

Some people consider the 163X to be the best bass compressor/limiter ever. I disagree with this sentiment. I find these pieces to be decent for screwing up sounds in the lo fi sort of way. If you want something that'll sort of destruct your sounds with compression/limiting or gating then these should be for you. Some people recommend that you send these to Jim Williams for modification.

I'll post pictures later.

I will ship these to your door for $99 which includes insurance.

Back