DBSTRD - "Everything Again" (80s indie popisch)

atari_soldier

Feedback needed: DBSTRD - "Everything Again" (80s indie popisch)

I'm not particularly happy with this mix and I'm at a dead end. Does anyone have any idea how to make it sound better and/or more interesting?

Last edited:
I'm not particularly happy with this mix and I'm at a dead end. Does anyone have any idea how to make it sound better and/or more interesting?

Well I can tell you that you are well on your way to nailing the sound, trust me I lived through it and I also love to make 80's indie pop :-) The instrumentation is spot on. Bass and guitars sound especially tasty. Couple thoughts

Mix is overly dark. Nothing really shines. You can have dark, but something has to pop....

To me the thing that pops should be the vocal. Seems like you are literally doubling the vocal, singing the same thing the same way two or more times. This is causing a chorus that isn't real pleasing cause it emphasizes some pitch strangeness.

Maybe try a vocal an octave down, or a whisper track up above. Mix it up a little bit.

Well I can tell you that you are well on your way to nailing the sound, trust me I lived through it and I also love to make 80's indie pop :-) The instrumentation is spot on. Bass and guitars sound especially tasty. Couple thoughts

Mix is overly dark. Nothing really shines. You can have dark, but something has to pop....

To me the thing that pops should be the vocal. Seems like you are literally doubling the vocal, singing the same thing the same way two or more times. This is causing a chorus that isn't real pleasing cause it emphasizes some pitch strangeness.

Maybe try a vocal an octave down, or a whisper track up above. Mix it up a little bit.

There's nothing wrong with doubling but I see what you mean! After turning down the second vocal track it sounds much cleaner :)

Any other idea how to make the vocals sparkle a bit more?

The bass has an overall sterile sound. No low mids. The same could be said about the kick. The bass is a bit too loud.

The rhythm guitar on the left and the guitar riff have a bit too much bite. A notch at 2400hz or so might help.

There is a long predelay on the vocal reverb which kind of washes them out. Maybe shorten it and/or dry it up a bit.

Some of the drum fills are kind of machine-gunny.

There is a lot of buildup in the 400hz-1600hz octaves. That range is very crowded.

Good song. I liked the bass quite a lot. It's fairly scooped but works in this mix. You could come down on the level a bit. Drums are bottom heavy. Kick is a too loud for 80s music. The mix is dark and muddy. Overall the sound of the track is harsh and compressed, a classic case of murder by mastering.

The bass has an overall sterile sound. No low mids. The same could be said about the kick. The bass is a bit too loud.

The rhythm guitar on the left and the guitar riff have a bit too much bite. A notch at 2400hz or so might help.

There is a long predelay on the vocal reverb which kind of washes them out. Maybe shorten it and/or dry it up a bit.

Some of the drum fills are kind of machine-gunny.

There is a lot of buildup in the 400hz-1600hz octaves. That range is very crowded.

Thank you all for great feedback! I've made some adjustments. Is it any better? Or is it even worse?

Seems appropriate for the genre although it isn't a genre I really listen to much but have heard it over the years. One thing I notice is that the kick drum isn't kicking my sub, the bass is actually showing up more in the sub on the low notes than the kick. Maybe the kick could use something in the 60 to 70 hz range but not to interfere with the bass guitar. Although they may not end up sounding right for the genre so I'm not to sure.

Seems appropriate for the genre although it isn't a genre I really listen to much but have heard it over the years. One thing I notice is that the kick drum isn't kicking my sub, the bass is actually showing up more in the sub on the low notes than the kick. Maybe the kick could use something in the 60 to 70 hz range but not to interfere with the bass guitar. Although they may not end up sounding right for the genre so I'm not to sure.

Here is an completely new version. What do you think about the mix?

Good composition and performances. I like the atmosphere. And I really dig your bass tone. Some are going to tell you it's too loud. Not for me. Many here obsess over guitar tone, but for me what sets a song apart is bass. It sounds like you might be clipping on the louder parts. There's a piercing harshness to some of the crescendos. The song overall is not as harsh and compressed as the earlier version, but I still think you've overmastered it. Ease off on that limiter, if that's what you're using.

Good composition and performances. I like the atmosphere. And I really dig your bass tone. Some are going to tell you it's too loud. Not for me. Many here obsess over guitar tone, but for me what sets a song apart is bass. It sounds like you might be clipping on the louder parts. There's a piercing harshness to some of the crescendos. The song overall is not as harsh and compressed as the earlier version, but I still think you've overmastered it. Ease off on that limiter, if that's what you're using.

That's some interesting feedback! Thank you.

What do you mean with "a piercing harshness"? And what do you think is clipping? The vocals?

Take the opening section, where you have the guitar doing those chiming chords on the left. I find myself wincing a little bit every time that chord hits. Makes me thing there's some kind of buildup going on in those midrange frequencies where our hearing is particularly sensitive. I get that sensation at many points in the song, especially in the choruses and the guitar solo at the end. Don't know if it's clipping, but it does sound to me like compression or limiting is bringing out some not-nice frequencies. It's a shame as this song has a very attractive feel, but the mix needs to be smoother.

Take the opening section, where you have the guitar doing those chiming chords on the left. I find myself wincing a little bit every time that chord hits. Makes me thing there's some kind of buildup going on in those midrange frequencies where our hearing is particularly sensitive. I get that sensation at many points in the song, especially in the choruses and the guitar solo at the end. Don't know if it's clipping, but it does sound to me like compression or limiting is bringing out some not-nice frequencies. It's a shame as this song has a very attractive feel, but the mix needs to be smoother.

It sounds like you are talking about an arrangement issue? I really want the chorus to be heavy and mean. Screaming.

Any particular instrument that create those nasty frequencies? Not sure if I hear that. I don't think the song sound that compressed either. But maybe that's a matter of taste?

I haven't listened to the latest version - but I've always had a problem with my mixes in the 1.5 to 2 k range, especially with compression/limiting. It can be really grating if this range builds up and a lot of speakers/headphones emphasize this area. Maybe that is what Robus is talking about. I am going to listen after I finish food shopping (so rock and roll) :-)

Love the song, I think the levels are balanced well but I might bring down the strumming guitar just a bit. Big fan of the little touches like the chimes. Nice arrangement!

Love the song, I think the levels are balanced well but I might bring down the strumming guitar just a bit. Big fan of the little touches like the chimes. Nice arrangement!

Thanks! :D

Not sure wich guitar you mean but it might already been fixed.
Here's another version:

Back