db-audioware for mastering

Jags

OK, I've downloaded db-audioware with the intention of increasing the volume of my final mixes (on a recommendation from here). My question is, should I first mixdown the song to wav and then use the mastering limiter plugin on the single wav file or should I apply the mastering limiter (dbml) when I am mixing down the song?

My biggest problem is that because of the number of plugins i have applied to the tracks, the computer can't handle playing through the song with them all on (i assume it's a performance issue at least?), so I can only run through the song with the plugins off, therefore it's difficult to know whether or not the volume is breaking the 0db level when the plugins are on. With that in mind would it be safer to use the dbml while mixing down, or would i get a better result by just using a normal plugin limiter while mixing down and then using the dbml on the wav? Would it even make any difference? Sorry if this seems confusing, i hope you can see what I'm trying to say;).

Thanks

Jags

Any mastering plug-in you use on the final (stereo) mix L & R bus.

If you are running out of processing power in your mix because of plug-ins, consider bouncing some plug-in sounds to disk, which will free up processing power.

Thanks for replying sjoko, but i'm afraid you've completely lost me.

Do you mean by 'bouncing' mixing down individual tracks with the plugin applied? Would the fact that a lot of my songs use almost the full 32 track capacity of cubase make this more complicated?

Thanks

Jags

Last edited:
For example, say you have a track recorded, and now you add some effects to that track, using plug-ins.
Now, when you are totally happy with the way the track sounds with the effects on it, be it stereo or mono, you record the track (again, stereo or mono) WITH the effects. Keep the original track, in case you want to make any changes, but mute it, and play the one you have recorded.
Now you don't need your plug-ins anymore and you have freed-up processing power.

Bouncing = recording a mix, or tracks in a file to disk.
For instance, if you have 8 backing vocals in perfect balance, you "bounce" them to a stereo track, so now instead of 8 tracks you have 2.

Ok thanks, that'll certainly free up some tracks and procesing power;) Should be useful.

Jags

Another trick I discovered is to use automation to bypass effects when they arent in use, e.g - every time the vocal stops you can bypass all the effects on those tracks and put them back on just before it kicks back in (make sure that it doesn't cut off the Reverb tail though).

Thanks vox, that sounds like it would help, but how does that work? Do you have to physically disable and apply the effects as the song is playing or can it be done automatically (as automation suggests.) How do you do it/ can it be done in Cubase VST?

Thanks

Jags

I don't know if it can be done in Cubase, although my guess would be that it can. In Logic I just toggle the bypass button on the plugin interface while its in record mode and it works on playback just like mutes or any other automation.

Good Luck:)

Back