DAW type studio

RoninSeraph

Hello, name's David. Long time lurker but this is my first post.

So here's my situation:

I do a lot of VSTi (EWQL) type audio. Lots of orchestral stuff, jazz, ambience, and even some "Power Rock" (I think it's called that, never kept up to date with all the Metal Genres). I'm setting up a new computer that will soley be used for audio, instead of an "All in One" PC like I've ran for years.

I've got the motherboard, CPU, case, and such already picked out. However I want some opinions regarding the actual "Audio" parts of the studio.

For Soundcard I'm thinking the M-Audio Audiophile192. I've talked with a few people who do similar stuff to my music and they've said good things about the card. Plus I dig it's price point. Is there's anything about the card I should know about? Or perhaps a lower version that will suit me just as well?

For Monitors I'm thinking KRK RP5's. I've used bookshelf speakers for years, and have become acustom to mixing on them. So I'm not too worried about "High End" monitors. But actual powered monitors would be nice. Thoughts? Other recommendations?

For a Midi controller, at this point in time, I don't care. Anything is better than manually inputting each note and such in the piano roll with the mouse.

Now with the powered monitors I'm going to need not only a volume controller for them (I refuse to use the widows volume control) but it also has to come with a headphone jack, as I do some monitoring, and such, with headphones. I was thinking of the UB1002 mixer. It would suit my needs for recording guitars, bass, synth keys/sequencers, or minor vocal parts (When needed). Now I know this forum isn't fond of Behringer mixers, however the price looks good. Especially for what I will use it for.

Oh yeah, and all of this will be used with Cubase and Sonar (Yes I know Cubase can do what Sonar does, but I dig both).

So what are your thoughts? Any recommendations or things I should look out for?

Thank you for reading,
David

RoninSeraph said:
Hello, name's David. Long time lurker but this is my first post.

So here's my situation:

I do a lot of VSTi (EWQL) type audio. Lots of orchestral stuff, jazz, ambience, and even some "Power Rock" (I think it's called that, never kept up to date with all the Metal Genres). I'm setting up a new computer that will soley be used for audio, instead of an "All in One" PC like I've ran for years.

I've got the motherboard, CPU, case, and such already picked out. However I want some opinions regarding the actual "Audio" parts of the studio.

For Soundcard I'm thinking the M-Audio Audiophile192. I've talked with a few people who do similar stuff to my music and they've said good things about the card. Plus I dig it's price point. Is there's anything about the card I should know about? Or perhaps a lower version that will suit me just as well?

For Monitors I'm thinking KRK RP5's. I've used bookshelf speakers for years, and have become acustom to mixing on them. So I'm not too worried about "High End" monitors. But actual powered monitors would be nice. Thoughts? Other recommendations?

For a Midi controller, at this point in time, I don't care. Anything is better than manually inputting each note and such in the piano roll with the mouse.

Now with the powered monitors I'm going to need not only a volume controller for them (I refuse to use the widows volume control) but it also has to come with a headphone jack, as I do some monitoring, and such, with headphones. I was thinking of the UB1002 mixer. It would suit my needs for recording guitars, bass, synth keys/sequencers, or minor vocal parts (When needed). Now I know this forum isn't fond of Behringer mixers, however the price looks good. Especially for what I will use it for.

Oh yeah, and all of this will be used with Cubase and Sonar (Yes I know Cubase can do what Sonar does, but I dig both).

So what are your thoughts? Any recommendations or things I should look out for?

Thank you for reading,
David

You have a good all around approach to the whole deal, anyone could argue with the choice of any of your brands/models but they would suggest something in a new price range or something that does the same thing differently. So I would say you are all set. Good call on some external monitor control, i struggled with how much of a PITA that was before i broke down and used a UB802 mixer for that, but i would reccomend considering a better preamp choice than what that mixer has to offer. There are so many tolerable cheap pres (Alesis DMP3, SP VTB1, etc) that is seems worth it.

Also consider how many channels you need, and will need down the road. Sounds like you are not recording a ton of audio at once, but if you see yourself needing to go beyond a couple channels, you might want to make that investment now (for instance, recording drumset you owuld want 3 or more channels usually) If you would consider used gear, watch
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=6
I've seen a couple very affordable dela 44 and 1010s lately and those or their competitors would allow you to do it all.

the only othe opinion i have is to say check out the keyboard forum for a controller, the "best midi controller for $x" question has been asked and answered a hundred times and you will probably get some good tips.

Daav

Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp to kick it off so.........since I don't know shit about computer and midi stuff, all I'm doing is adding a thumbs up to the DMP 3 and the VTB 1 for decent cheap pres... :cool:

Back