DAW/soundcard won't allow me to record at 96k

Software/soundcard won't allow me to record at 96k

I have installed my recording software (Cubase) on a separate DAW.

When trying to set the sample rate in a new project, I notice that it only gives me 48k as an option. This is not sufficient as not only do I want to record new projects at 96k, I also need to be able to open on-going projects which have been recorded at 96k.

I set out trying to change the sample rate on the soundcard. However, going into the properties, the 'advanced' tab is greyed out. I'm using an old XP laptop.

Not sure if this is relevant, but when opening Cubase, I get the error message "Samplerate could not be set. This could be due to the sample clock being set to an external sync". I have checked and the sample rate IS set to internal.

Any ideas on how I can make any changes to my DAW to enable Cubase to record in 96k? Is it that the laptop or soundcard are simply not up to the job?

Last edited:
The sample rates avialable to you are dictated by your soundcard HARDWARE not software. Do you know if your soundcard supports sample rates above 48k?

What is your soundcard? Also, Cubase would be your 'DAW' so that is a bit confusing when you say you 'installed your Cubase on a separate DAW'.

Give a bit more info as to what you have connected. :)

Sample rate hardware adjustments should be in the 'Control Panel' window for your soundcard. In Cubase: Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System. Selected soundcard should then be listed on the previous screen under 'VST Audio System'. There you will have the 'Control Panel' tab. In there you can select the sample rate of your soundcard. Then you will still need to change Cubase setting in Project>Project Setup...Sample rate........

What is your soundcard? Also, Cubase would be your 'DAW' so that is a bit confusing when you say you 'installed your Cubase on a separate DAW'.

Give a bit more info as to what you have connected. :)

Sample rate hardware adjustments should be in the 'Control Panel' window for your soundcard. In Cubase: Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System. Selected soundcard should then be listed on the previous screen under 'VST Audio System'. There you will have the 'Control Panel' tab. In there you can select the sample rate of your soundcard. Then you will still need to change Cubase setting in Project>Project Setup...Sample rate........
Thanks for that. However, I don't see anywhere in the Control Panel where I can select the sample rate of the sound card. Here's a snapshot of it...
View attachment 84691

And here is a snapshot of how far I've get when trying to adjust the laptop's sound card...View attachment 84692

I get this message when I open a new project in Cubase...image.jpg

And to demonstrate that I only have 48khz as an option...
image.jpg

I hope that clarifies things. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you by any chance install Cubase with the install disc upside down?

LOL!

Still, no mention of soundcard (upside down or not). It sounds like you don't have an interface and you are trying to record at sample rate your internal is not capable of....

Sounds like you're trying to use the built-in soundcard.

Those have 40cents worth of chips made for cheap beeps, boops and light gaming.

Get a true asio interface ($50 and up) and ignore the built-in POS.

Back