DAW - LMMS - Time to move on?

crimson_jackal

Hello all. First post.

I'm in the process of building up my home studio. Been using Linux Multimedia Studio for almost a year now. It's a free open source DAW. Have any of you guys used it?

I've used it quite a bit and the audio still lacks polish and dynamic quality. The stock plugins are ok. It has Zynaddsubfux but some sounds are great and others aren't. VST compatibility is literally hit and miss. Synth1 does work with it but the damn thing crashes on my computer...

I have 4GB or RAM and a 2.66 GHZ Xeon Processor though the computer is 5 1/2 years old now.

As the months go on, I see dwindling support for the program. I do enjoy it though. Easy to use and its piano tool is golden. Since buying by Mbox, I've been debating whether to just use that for more standalone recordings or just spend a little more coin and get Reaper or Cubase.

Related question: My Mbox did come with Pro Tools LE. Is that worth the install?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. Was just curious if anyone here has used LMMS and created anything powerful with it.

Thanks

EDIT: Can't post links since I am noob but you can't find examples on youtube.

I've been using linux for audio and video for a few years and am currently running Arch. I've never used LMMS myself though as I mostly use Ardour and have reciently started experimenting with SuperCollider.

If you're not on linux I don't really have any suggestions as to alternate programs to look into. Usually when I start to feel like a program I am using is lagging in development I take a good survey via google to see whats available. sometimes completely new competitors pop up with something really innovative.

I've been using linux for audio and video for a few years and am currently running Arch. I've never used LMMS myself though as I mostly use Ardour and have reciently started experimenting with SuperCollider.

If you're not on linux I don't really have any suggestions as to alternate programs to look into. Usually when I start to feel like a program I am using is lagging in development I take a good survey via google to see whats available. sometimes completely new competitors pop up with something really innovative.

Sometimes I just wonder if, for the sake of simplicity, it would be better to buy a program (such as Reaper) and enjoy the consistent updates. The more programs that run passed by brain, the more confused I get lol.

Reaper is definitely something you should check out because I know for a fact that one can get excellent results with it. However I'm not sure if it's compatible with Linux OS.

There are many here that use Reaper. I use it, but not exclusively. I think it is as capable DAW as any I know of. I know Ubuntu has Ubuntu Studios, it uses Ardour. I was thinking of bringing up a computer with it to see how well it works. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reaper is consistently updated and the price is rather reasonable. It does not support Linux.

I think because of Linux's lack of services in certain areas most DAW creators do not want to pick up the additional functionality required to port their software over. It would be nice, but from a business perspective, not sure it makes much sense. If you move to another DAW, you'll have to change your OS and you might as well update your processor. You could put Win7 on your current system, not sure you would like the performance.

Back