DAW Controllers

suntzu1982

You got to funkafize.
Just bought my firepod, from bayview, and I have been a joyous, to say the least. :D

So, with the firepod, what kind of connection would be good for the DAW controller. I have only 1 firewire port, but can I go through the 2nd firewire port on the firepod? Or how about midi? If I use midi through the firepod for my controller, will I still be able to hook up a midi keyboard? And is all this worth it granted that I can use USB 2.0?

Also, does the quality of controller affect the quality of recording? Or am I just looking to buy for ease of use? It seems that it is a computer interface, rather than being part of the chain.

Oh by the way, my rep is red, does that really affect the responses I get to my posts? Someone gave it to me on my first post, because I wrote that it was 'lengthy'...I was (still am) a newbie too...if so, should I start fishing for green 'chiclets'? (hint hint) :confused:

What kind of controller are you looking for? a firewire controller can be pluged in to an extra firewire port on your computer and it will work just fine, now midi controllers are different, (well at least my Mackie)

I had to purchase a USB midi interface in order to hook up a drum machine and two keyboards that is cause the mackie cannot be daisychained it has to have a dedicated midi in and out

some controllers have interfaces built in so they can affect the sound, some are just software controllers (Mackie MCU and others) hope that helps.

I'm just looking for one that controls the software (i'm tired of using the mouse to move faders and knobs.)

The extra firewire is on my firepod. I only have 1 firewire on the laptop and that is connected to my firepod.

So I am basically wondering about my connection options and what the quality of a controller implies. My understanding is that it doesn't affect sound, so I'm not sure why one would spend a lot of money if another does the job.

okay...so, it's for the features/functionality...not necessarily the quality of recording. awesome. thanks!

suntzu1982 said:
So I am basically wondering about my connection options and what the quality of a controller implies. My understanding is that it doesn't affect sound, so I'm not sure why one would spend a lot of money if another does the job.
You could get by with something like this but as far as I know you need to dedicate a USB port to it - meaning it can't be plugged into a USB multiplier - and plug it into the same port every time you set up your system.

If 8 faders don't seem like enough to you Behringer has a scheme to cascade two of these for 16 faders --- a studio that I work at from time to time has had two of these tied into their comp for a year now with no problems...

That looks awesome. And it's a lot cheaper than I thought. At Sam Ash they told me that all of the control surfaces are about $1000.

Eventhough it has only 8 channels, I can bank them so that I control more than 8 channels? Like channels 1-8, then hit a button to control channels 9-16, etc.?

suntzu1982 said:
That looks awesome. And it's a lot cheaper than I thought. At Sam Ash they told me that all of the control surfaces are about $1000.

Eventhough it has only 8 channels, I can bank them so that I control more than 8 channels? Like channels 1-8, then hit a button to control channels 9-16, etc.?

Yeah I payed $799.00 for my Mackie new and yes the B is bankable

i have the bcf2000. i like it alot, but you might want to put sticky labels on the buttons that control the transport functions, it took me a while to memorize them.

i'm pretty sure its bankable, i've hit the button a couple times (just can't remember which one it is...)

and it's usb! you could use midi, but if you use usb, then it also acts as another midi i/o.

Back