David Gilmour Talks Strat Solos in Guitar World

PlasticMoonRain

Well, it's amazing what you'll do when you've got a solo album to plug.

Gilmour's on the cover of the new issue of Guitar World talking about a lot of stuff. Actually, the whole issue is one big Pink Floyd thing, asking about his solos on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Another Brick in the Wall, Money, etc. They talk to Bob Ezrin, the guy who produced The Wall, and even Roger Waters gets in there.

Always kind of wondered about this guy's technique, that wailing kind of lead. Gimour says he uses a fuzz box, a delay and a bright EQ setting. But he says to get the sustain, you've got to play LOUD! :)

I think his most interesting comment is when he says for solos, you "bend a note, hold it and shake it. A lot of young players today have such awful virbratos. They're either too ridiculously wide or too fast and nervous sounding."

Oh yeah, on the last solo to Comfortably Numb, he says he always starts on the 7th fret of the G string because of a big harmonic.

Drew

I've heard that his solo album is great although I haven't heard it myself. The local classic rock station played the album the other night but unfortunately I missed it.

I love it. There's no big surprises, but if he was doing anything drastically different, face it, it would probably not be very good. Reminds me of his first solo LP which I love as well. One things for sure, the guy can still play four notes and sound better than the next four hundred guitar players.

Last edited:
The new album is very, very good. It sounds amazing to me. Like his earlier solo records, it's easily distinguished from a PF record, IMO. But it came with a bonus CD containing one track called "Island Jam" that is very Floydian sounding, reminiscent of "Shine on you Crazy Diamond."

I recently discovered his self-titled album. I can't get it out of my player. Really good record. I can't wait to get the new one.

Dave's "On an Island" is a wonderful album.

The introduction: "Castellorizon" is a fantastic display of sound. Starting with the spooky digeridoo with echoing spacey keys, moving through voices into an almost cartoon-like area, with fireworks (real fireworks)! Then, onto Dave's blood on the strings solo. It almost felt like a tour of great thought and engineering, showing what's possible in the arena of soundscaping. The instrument sounds are mostly familiar-- if your familiar with the Division Bell, and Dave's DVD performance from the Royal Albert Hall 2002.

You should really enjoy the title cut. The double tracked vocals and harmony is excellent!
As the album progresses there are some real heart pounding spots with huge drums and lyrical solos that you'd hope for, and expect. Take a breath. Take a deep breath now!
Red Sky at Night is freaking cool, if I understand the credits correctly, the beautiful sax work is Dave's. If that's true, Shit! Unbelievable, man!

I was happy to see "Smile" made it onto this record!

There's more funky blues, slide acoustic, then a full orchestra flowing through crisply recorded vocals on the masterpiece "Pocketful of Stones." --My personal favorite. It has a ghostly quality that just floored me.
The final song, "Where we Start" a love song that leaves you feeling really good...except for the fact that the album's over.

I like what David said in a recent interview about having slow fingers, & being glad he had "slow fingers." ...That if he had faster ones, he'd be tempted to go faster...

Back