David Bryson's Sound

hongteck

Hi, just listened to Hangin'Around from Counting Crows' new album ... I love that cool distorted sound. Anyone know what's the guitarists' (Is he David Bryson or something?) guitar setup. I know he uses a Telecaster but what sort of amp and effects he uses ? Is it a RAT ?

I love the Counting Crows!
I am so happy somebody asked. I even know this stuff. Actually the players on this song is Dan Vickery and David Immergluck. Dave Bryson is playing acoustic on this track. Anyway, Dan Vickery, the guy with the tele, plays an old Tele, (53 or 54). It might even be an esquire, and not a tele. But anyway, he plays it through a '65 Twin, as far as I know. He also uses an old Marshall, like the nice tolex covered ones, the ones that are not black or orange or anything. Immergluck plays the leads almost in unision with Vickery. Imergluck usually plays a Firebird. I am not sure what amp he uses. Most of the time he plays lapsteel and mandolin. So, anyway, to get that sound it is just using the Fender Twin, cranked. I mean loud. The unique sound is really from having both guitarists play at the same time. Immergluck doesn't play every note that Vickery does, but still he is basically doubling. As far as I know there is no RAT involved. I will let you know next time I see them. (I have seen them 3 times so far, they rock). They use a lot of reverb, tremolo and rotary effcts too. You might want to look into some of those. If you have a POD, turn it to Tweed Blues, Drive 10, Bass 7, Mid 7, Trebble 5, Channel Volume, 10, Reverb 3 or 4 effects tweak 1 or 2, and tremolo on. Tap the tempo. Anyway, I am sure I have rambled on "way way way too long". (get it?) Any other crows questions, I am sure I can help somehow...

MIKE

Back