Data cable

Rein

Kan i use a data cable on the usb output to my smartphone. It doesn't seem to work.Thanks for your reply if possible.

Greetz, Rein

I
Kan i use a data cable on the usb output to my smartphone. It doesn't seem to work.Thanks for your reply if possible.

Greetz, Rein
It would probably help if you described what you are trying to do, and the actual phone + Zoom device. Some Zoom recorders have the option to present themselves as either an audio interface, i.e., for connection to a computer, or simply external storage, where the Zoom's internal storage, e.g., SD card, appears as an external drive.

If you have an iPhone, at least an older one with no USB-C connector, I know that direct connection with a USB-Lightning cable (like you'd use for charging or to sync the phone's storage with a computer) does not work, and you need some kind of "camera" adapter to have the device seen at all by the phone. No clue with Android.

On an Android, using a C cable, data, not just a charging cable, I have used a cable to connect from my Tablet or phone, they are the same, to input/output to my USB Audiobox and it gave me phantom power.

As Keith stated, what are you trying to do and with what?

I

It would probably help if you described what you are trying to do, and the actual phone + Zoom device. Some Zoom recorders have the option to present themselves as either an audio interface, i.e., for connection to a computer, or simply external storage, where the Zoom's internal storage, e.g., SD card, appears as an external drive.

If you have an iPhone, at least an older one with no USB-C connector, I know that direct connection with a USB-Lightning cable (like you'd use for charging or to sync the phone's storage with a computer) does not work, and you need some kind of "camera" adapter to have the device seen at all by the phone. No clue with Android.
Hi Keith,
My smartphone is an OPPO A78 5G (android 13
) en the recorder a Zoom h4b pro. I bought a cable usb mini to usb -c (for power or data). Only mij laptop with Win. and an usb to usb mini (my camera adapter cable) is connecting wel. Zoom gives then the option to connect as data or as an external audio device.

Last edited:
Hi Keith,
My smartphone is an OPPO A78 5G (android 13
) en the recorder a Zoom h4b pro. I bought a cable usb mini to usb -c (for power or data). Only mij laptop with Win. and an usb to usb mini (my camera adapter cable) is connecting wel. Zoom gives then the option to connect as data or as an external audio device.
So, are you trying to use the Zoom as an "interface" with the phone? Again, I cannot help at all with Android as I've always had iPhones. The article linked by @jamesperrett looks like it might be helpful. It does say that most USB-C versions now work without problems, though I saw a note about enabling [USB] "host" mode in Android that may be relevant, or not, i.e., the device needs to be presenting itself as a computer, and not a USB device, so the Zoom, in either interface or storage mode, will work.

So, are you trying to use the Zoom as an "interface" with the phone? Again, I cannot help at all with Android as I've always had iPhones. The article linked by @jamesperrett looks like it might be helpful. It does say that most USB-C versions now work without problems, though I saw a note about enabling [USB] "host" mode in Android that may be relevant, or not, i.e., the device needs to be presenting itself as a computer, and not a USB device, so the Zoom, in either interface or storage mode, will work.
Thanks, I will look in to it.

I have a similar question about the Zoom R8
I know if I use a USB cable I can power the unit but using that same cable at the same time can I also download songs from U tube onto the memory card?

I would not recommend powering the Zoom with a phone as it will discharge way too fast. Use rechargeables in the Zoom.
Thanks for your reply.
I want to use the computer USB cable to power the unit...I am just unsure if I can also transfer computer data...like a utube song...to the memory card at the same time as using the cable for power.
Or at least load the songs without compromising the power from the same USB.
I understand that batteries can power the unit but have little to no interest in using that method...
A USB Hub is also a valid way I believe.
But is overkill for my needs...I do not use midi or a power bank...
I only need to load utube songs and lay my bass line over the top using R12 and only for curiosity and practice.

Thanks for your reply.
I want to use the computer USB cable to power the unit...I am just unsure if I can also transfer computer data...like a utube song...to the memory card at the same time as using the cable for power.
Or at least load the songs without compromising the power from the same USB.
I understand that batteries can power the unit but have little to no interest in using that method...
A USB Hub is also a valid way I believe.
But is overkill for my needs...I do not use midi or a power bank...
I only need to load utube songs and lay my bass line over the top using R12 and only for curiosity and practice.

power and transfer files, I do it all the time.
Your computer should see the zoom as a storage device. Should be no problem transfer any file type. I do believe the zoom will need to see a .wav file in order to play it but might be mistaken. All you need to do is give it a try
Guy

power and transfer files, I do it all the time.
Your computer should see the zoom as a storage device. Should be no problem transfer any file type. I do believe the zoom will need to see a .wav file in order to play it but might be mistaken. All you need to do is give it a try
Guy
Thanks for the info...I think...or hope...the R12 behaves a little like the B3n where such action is possible...power plus limited data transfer from computer...
Anyway Thanks again appreciated.

Back