Data back-up using US...options???

jeffy_2003

OK, I'm running out of space on my laptop and I really need some way to back-up data. What options do I have with a USB connection? can an external hard drive be connected, or some type of zip, jaz, glyph be connected via USB?

I know that i can back up with a CD burner via USB since my friends does that...BUT I was planning on eventually buying a stand alone CD burner. it would kill my budget to have both stand alone and USB burners.

i would just buy the USB burner but i don't have a decent sound card (or sound input into my laptop) for a good mixdown, and i'm not sure if i'm going to ever get one.

I reckon the CD burner's the way to go for most things - you can back things up cheaply and burn CDs when the time's right. Your call on which type of burner, but which direction is your studio moving? You gonna be using the laptop forever? If not, which type of burner will you use in the next incarnation of your studio?

A portable (i.e. external) ZIP drive is really handy as you can bring it with you if you need to transfer data and don't want to burn a CD. I'm pretty sure that you can find a ZIP drive with a USB connection, or parallel port if that's OK.

You could of course just borrow your friends USB burner when you need it.

/Ola

Back