*DAT and a DAW?*

janthemetal

Just wondering, is it possible to link my desk (a Mackie Onyx 820i) with both a computer (and DAW) and to a DAT recorder?

I want to use the DAW to record all the tracks and mix down to, and do a further mix down to DAT so I have something to hold, rather than a bunch of numbers on my computer.

So, can it be done? and if so, how?

Thanks in advance

IF you have an interface that has monitoring capabilities, just send the output of the mixer to the interface and set up the monitoring of the interface to send the input to an output that you have going to the DAT.

Or, you could just record to the DAW and then play the track into the DAT at a later time.

Unless you have a rare 24 bit DAT machine, the version on the computer will probably sound better. The tape that you can hold will also, at some point in the future, turn to stone or get eaten by the aging mechanism in the DAT machine. Once your DAT machine breaks, you will have no way of getting the music back off of it.
They stopped making DAT's. Eventually, there won't be any left.

Thumb drives, CD's and DVD's will last longer and be playable much farther into the future than DAT tape will.

I have two DAT machines and 10 years worth of work on DAT. Most of which is unplayable because the tape was not exercised regularly, or played too much and worn out. In order to play any of it, I have to hook both DAT machines together, one has a working mechanism, the other has a working output section. I could get them fixed, but I could buy a new computer and decent interface for what it would cost me...and it would still sound like crap 16 bit garbage from yesteryear.

I'd mix to the DAW and use a solid-state drive for archive. Even a 2GB thumb drive will hold more PCM audio than a DAT tape... At 24-bit... Cheaper... Without wearing out... Etc., etc., etc.

Back