Dark vs. Bright

tilinmyowngrave

I dont play anything at this moment (havent found a band yet), but I'm currently looking for a prog rock/metal guitarist (think Tool, A Perfect Circle, Dream Theater, Rush, Frank Zappa). I am having trouble decided what cymbals to use. I like my chinas, splash, and crashes, but i dunno about my ride and hi hat. I have a Dry Heavy Ride and sound edge hi hats (Paiste Signature). But I dunno if I shud switch to darker cymbals (the new signature dark energy 22" Ride Mark I (Amazing fucking ride), and dark crisp hi hat), or keep my current loud and cutting set. Can you give me advice on which I should choose? Dark or bright?

i'm not exactly a drummer.... just someone who plays drums... you know, but go with what you think sounds the best. supposedly bright cymbals will cut through better in the mix, but that alone should not determine what you go with. I myself prefer darker cymbals

i would say get a variety

get like 1 or 2 bright crashes and 1 or 2 dark crashes

i would say get bright hi hats ..... and for a ride that sounds excellent on recording get a 20" zildjian A Ping ride

by the way paiste signature crashes also sound awesome on recording

Nick The Man said:
i would say get a variety

get like 1 or 2 bright crashes and 1 or 2 dark crashes

i would say get bright hi hats ..... and for a ride that sounds excellent on recording get a 20" zildjian A Ping ride

by the way paiste signature crashes also sound awesome on recording

I have yet to try a ZIldjian that is less than 20 years old that I like. I'll stick witht he Dark Energy and the dark crisps... I'm gonna bid on dark crisps on ebay, then sell my sound edge and dry heavy ride to get a Dark Energy 22" ride. As for crashes... my enxt crash will be a dark energy 19", I decided that from the first time I hit the thing.

tilinmyowngrave said:
I have yet to try a ZIldjian that is less than 20 years old that I like. I'll stick witht he Dark Energy and the dark crisps... I'm gonna bid on dark crisps on ebay, then sell my sound edge and dry heavy ride to get a Dark Energy 22" ride. As for crashes... my enxt crash will be a dark energy 19", I decided that from the first time I hit the thing.

i have Paiste dark crisp hi hats 13"

to tell ya the truth they werent really what i was expecting .... exspecially for such a high price of 350

i like the Zildjian K/Z hats more (my buddy has em)

Nick The Man said:
nah i got em fr 215 off a ebay

ooo good. Hehehe I tried the Dark Crisp Hats a few weeks ago, and I loved them. Probably best hats I have ever heard. Clean, dark, and has a nice chick to it.

tilinmyowngrave said:
ooo good. Hehehe I tried the Dark Crisp Hats a few weeks ago, and I loved them. Probably best hats I have ever heard. Clean, dark, and has a nice chick to it.

yeah defintly have a nice chick but i dont really like them when they are open :o

Kasey said:
i'm not exactly a drummer.... just someone who plays drums... you know, but go with what you think sounds the best. supposedly bright cymbals will cut through better in the mix, but that alone should not determine what you go with. I myself prefer darker cymbals
im not sure ive ever had a problem with the cymbals cutting through the mix.....

hehe the solution of my problems lies in the dark energy series paiste makes. The rides, hi hats, and crashes are amazing. Im gonna try to save up so I can buy a set for Christmas (14" dark energy hats, 20" dark energy crash, and 22" ride). As for my old crap... I'll keep the rides, and get a remote pedal to use my soundedge hi hats as secondary hats.

Dark Crisps

I also have the dark-crisps but mine are a custom pair I have a REALLY thick Rude Bottom w/ the signature top, 13", sound great open. Extreme-illy cost effective (as in $89.99, score!). They are by far the best high hats I've played with exception of the 14" Sound Edge hats.

Zildjians are terrible compared to paiste sig plates. No matter how much you pay for them. They record the best too.

Back