dark hollow

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Hey,

Any thoughts on this one? It's a cover of an old traditional number that chili and I intend to collaborate on, but he can't get to it for a week or two and I'm bored, so...

SoundClick artist: kingseesar - dark hollow

I guess I'm going for a simple, old-timey kind of sound here, but I have some concerns and would like to get any input I can...thanks!

My initial thought was WTF? This is a cacophonous mess, but then I realised I had arcadeko's Live Frequency station playing at the same time! :facepalm:

Sounds much better on its own... :D

I think there's a spot or two from 0.15 to 0.20 when that guitar figuring gets a bit lost, but short of some keen volume automation it'd be tough to bring the relevant bits up...

I'm generally liking the incidental playing noises that I can hear as they sort of add to the general raggedy feel of the song, but there's a squeak at about 0.25 I'm not so keen on..

I like the bass sound a lot.. nice and fat..

In between the verses, if it was me, I'd just turn the "lead" guitaring up just a touch... same as the bits from about 2.10 to 2.30... but that's just me..

Minor, minor niggles though... pretty damn good recording otherwise for mine... sort of puts you on the porch with a fire burning and some good old boys drinking and playing their guits..

Nice...!:guitar::D

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas on this Armistice. I'll listen to the sections you noted and see if I can pinpoint that squeak. I think I remember it!

I'm playing an old 1940's archtop which has really high, tough action, so it takes a great deal of strength to get a clean sound out of it. But usually I do a better job than this.

This is very different for me. No reverb at all on this or any effects other than some simulated tape echo on the guitars and vocals. Glad it sounds more or less ok to you. Thanks!

As you know, I listened to this the other day. Sounds good. A Dead cover as only Heat can do it. Can't wait to add something to this. Hope it doesn't get muddled when I do.

...And Arm, ArcadeKO's site and music don't mix well. :eek:

kidding, I'm kidding, A-KO!!! :guitar: :D:drunk:

Yep, a real knee slapper. The vox sound very Johnny Cash-ish, great baritone sound there. I'd like to hear it with a stand up bass.

Overall fun tune!

Can't wait to add something to this. Hope it doesn't get muddled when I do.

No more muddled than it is already. I hear room for a piano. Maybe an additional harmony part, and maybe another guitar part? I dunno if I'm going to keep this as is or not. I may have something different for you by the time you're ready.

After listening to some other people's stuff and then playing this again today, I'm cringing a little bit over the drums, guitars and vocals. Bass sounds good to me though, if a bit loud!

Yep, a real knee slapper. The vox sound very Johnny Cash-ish, great baritone sound there. I'd like to hear it with a stand up bass.

Overall fun tune!

Cool. Johnny Cash-ish is exactly what I was going for there. Does that qualify as baritone? I really couldn't quite hit those "highest" notes as it was...:( Thanks for listening PDP.

Sounds like it'd have fitted nicely on Chicken Skin Music.
The bass might be a bit too modern - it has growl aplenty -!
Good stuff

Also a little bit Ry Cooderish. I love that song, and I love done this way. Nice groove and cool guitar fills...fits the vocals. Great job.

Hey, thanks man. That's very nice of you. Glad you liked it!

Sounds like it'd have fitted nicely on Chicken Skin Music.
The bass might be a bit too modern - it has growl aplenty -!
Good stuff

Agreed on the bass. I also didn't play that part in a very old school sort of style. It is an odd mis-mash.

That album has Goodnight Irene on it...(had to google it). I love that tune and would like to cover that too someday.

Cool....nice clean mix on the headphones,really like the bass....nice pickin on the guitar.Always enjoy your stuff.

Thanks for checking it out. I enjoyed hearing your latest too.

There's a lot of stuff on this I'm not happy with, but my gear is set up in the garage and it was like 30 degrees last night, so I wimped out on working out there...

No one has concerns about the drums?

I think it sounds great. I love the growly but clean bass and low end. Guitars sound nice. Good job overall. Your mixes have really improved to a consistently good level and you have a defined signature style. No nits from me.

I think it sounds great. I love the growly but clean bass and low end. Guitars sound nice. Good job overall. Your mixes have really improved to a consistently good level and you have a defined signature style. No nits from me.

Yay! That's great. Thanks Greg. You've always been a great help.

So, really...drums sound ok? We're talking cheap overheads and an untreated garage here. I know I kept it really simple, but I feared even then it didn't quite pass...

Excellent work. Thanks for the share. I'm still learning and getting into mixing and this sounded great to me!

Thanks so much for the good word Allas. We are all learning and I've only recently gotten to the point where things sound reasonably good most of the time. Post up some stuff of yours sometime. :)

Yay! That's great. Thanks Greg. You've always been a great help.

So, really...drums sound ok? We're talking cheap overheads and an untreated garage here. I know I kept it really simple, but I feared even then it didn't quite pass...

I think the drums are fine. If anything, they could be a little louder, but for the song I thought they sounded fine and fit in well. Would they work in a hard rock or metal song? No, but for this song they're good.

Dude, Pete. Loved it. Your drum sound fits perfectly. About half-way through the thought popped in, "could I add anything with my drums?" - and then I heard what that would possibly be like in my head, and the answer was almost instantly, "heck no. These drums just fit!" Nice work. Really enjoyed the tune, and performances all around were very suited to the song.

Thanks for sharing!

LOVED IT! Excellent song.

Cool. Thanks for checking it out!

Dude, Pete. Loved it. Your drum sound fits perfectly. About half-way through the thought popped in, "could I add anything with my drums?" - and then I heard what that would possibly be like in my head, and the answer was almost instantly, "heck no. These drums just fit!" Nice work. Really enjoyed the tune, and performances all around were very suited to the song.

Thanks for sharing!

That is awesome. Thanks man. Huge relief to get some ok drum tracks done. Much more difficult (and fun) than I expected.

I know that any number of drummers here could've done a lot more with this. But simple may be good enough for this piece. I think trying to get a good kick sound may be the single toughest thing I've encountered thus far. All of you here who play and mix big, full drum tracks really amaze me!

I still haven't figured out how to tune the toms properly and so haven't even recorded with them yet. Also, I need a good cheap all-purpose crash (only have a ride so far) - any recommendations? My current HH and ride are Sabian B8's, which I suspect aren't that good?

Back