Dap king studio - amateur?

ches1

hi everyone,

I just took a look at the dap king studio and the first thing that striked me was the total absence of acoustic treatment in their control room, yet they manage to make recordings that sound beautyfull.

do all that acoustic treatment talk just hype??

Daptone records studio vid

(A) It's a rather expansive looking space. That's a big (BIG) deal...

(B) Just because it's not visible doesn't mean it's not there... I don't know the history of that place, but most successful studios have modified the rooms pretty heavily.

(C) As long as the low end is under control (again, it doesn't need to be visible), then everything is under control. I love lively (and hate dead) sounding rooms. The only thing that's not predictable is the low end. Those rooms are large (again, a BIG deal in handling low end) and as long as they know the space (and they seem pretty experienced although the audio isn't on right now) it's not impossible.

Note that all tracking space has proper acoustic treatment and isolation, and the mixing space has none.
Good tracks mix themselves (practically). If your tracks are clean, tight, present and up front the mixing becomes easier.
Acoustic treatment in the control room is not necesary....IF YOU KNOW HOW YOUR MIXES TRANSLATE TO OTHER SYSTEMS. The room theyre mixing in is pretty big, and maybe all their mixes in the room seem really bass heavy but translate well in other systems. Its all about knowing what you are hearing wrong in your room. Since this is pretty hard to do, its easier to get treatment and good monitors to get as close to the "truth" as possible.

Mike

Listening to some of their stuff ... it's pretty obvious that they're deliberately emulating the old Motown records, and they've really got it down.

It's a deliberately low-fi sound they're after, so one would almost think that having perfectly treated rooms and really lush gear, etc. ... would be counter-intuitive. I mean, the original Motown studio was basically a School Classroom converted in to a studio, and that didn't have perfect accoustics at all. :D

As for low-end monitoring, I really don't hear much low end going on in the recordings anyway. It's deliberately frequency bandwidth limited. It's really a stunning and faithful tribute to the Motown records.

the first thing that striked me was the total absence of acoustic treatment in their control room
Look closely at the rear wall. Two things jump out at me:

First, there are heavy/thick drapes *between* the windows that probably act like fairly good high frequency diffusers. Alternating them with the two highly reflective windows - neither of which looks to have a first reflection path back to the engineer's position - probably makes for a HF response pretty well balanced between lively and dead.

Second, the placement of the couch along the back wall and the chair in the corner (is there also one in the far corner? I'm not sure) do have some bass trapping characteristics built into both their construction and location.

Also, this may just be coincidence, but note the cabinet/closet door open on the wall to the right of the console. I may be reading too much into that, it might just so happen to be open and nothing more. But it also just so happens that having it open at an angle like that would also appear to deflect first reflections from the monitors against that wall - the nearest possible offending surface - away from the listening position and back to the rear wall instead.

Acoustic treatment does not have to be in the form of noticeable and expensive Auralex and RealTraps, as good as those may be. The proper placement and use of things like heavy drapery, bookcases, furniture and the like can be strategically placed and used to help even out a room's response. It may not be as A-list as a high-tech design using high-tech materials and objects, and it may not work as good, but it can often work well enough to give the engineer good and easy translation.

G.

that was a pretty cool video, and i can see why they wouldn't want to muck the place up with a bunch of auralex shit if they didn't need to...it would TOTALLY wreck the vibe

also, who in the hell loans out a vintage RCA ribbon and doesn't ask for it back? i wish i had friends like that...

there's a nice article in a tape op issue from a few months back.
i love the "dap dippin' with... Sharon Jones" record.

I just noticed they have shelves with books and records in the corners too, that helps a lot as well.

a little OT, but i just saw Sharon Jones last night at the hollywood bowl. She was totally awesome! and that's a cool little tour of the studio. maybe no treatment in the control room, but they do make some great sounding recordings.

Back