Danelectro Fab Chorus

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Just bought this pedal today, $20 brand new fresh in the box.

419015.jpg

It's as ugly as they come, but it's cheap and blew me away for the price tag.
Made out of some kind of hard composite plastic, real sturdy though.
I dont use Chorus much, just as a flavouring every now and then, and this thing does the trick.

Recomend to all of you who dont need a heavy duty dedicated chorus.

Mike

I got their "fish & chips" EQ pedal - not the "fab" line, I guess. It was cheap, too. It's made of plastic, and I'm not sure how long it would last gigging, but it works great and it's really quiet. I sure wish they had good cheap pedals like these when I was a teenager -- I was a "no effects" kind of player, but that was mainly because the only ones I could afford sucked.

The switch is the black button that says Danelectro.

They also have flanger, overdrive, distortion, and echo I believe in this series.

Ive been looking at the Fish and Chips eq pedal, but I dont have enough need for one just yet. Good to hear some reviews about it though.

Mike

I bought one several months back because it was cheap and needed to spend another $20 to get free shipping on an order. It sounds okay-I just haven't messed with it enough to find the 'sweet spot' for the best chorus sound.
I think I prefer the sound of the 'Vibro Thang'-it gets a rotating speaker sound & tremolo/wah sound-it's out of production but you can still find them fairly cheap.

Attachments

• FX22.gif
    FX22.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 69
I got all of mine the same way - whenever I need to add to the order to get free shipping :) Mine ended up costing me $15 each (I usually shop at M123 when there's a coupon).

I have a distortion, chorus and delay. wish they had a tremolo.

Unfortunately, soon after getting them I bought my current amp - Fender Super Champ XD, so I usually just plug into it. I haven't had the chance to really evaluate the pedals.

But I'm planning to. Real soon. And I can report back.

Chorus used to be my favorite effect (I don't consider overdrive/distortion an effect, more like a voice). Somehow I don't need it at all these days, maybe it's because of my music tastes changing - different styles = different effects.

I read that the new Cool Cat series of pedals, which are still priced very fair, are now metal case, true bypass and good quality. Theirs is the cheapest tremolo, I might end up with one.

The Cool Cat are maybe $30, they do have a nice steel case and are true bypass. I was checking them out but ended up with the fab cause I'm a cheap university student:rolleyes:

Mike

The Cool Cat are maybe $30, they do have a nice steel case and are true bypass. I was checking them out but ended up with the fab cause I'm a cheap university student:rolleyes:
Mike

nothing wrong with the fabs, as long as it's for home/studio use (they wouldn't last long in live settings).

i've read plenty of reviews from people who've opened them up saying that the actual circuitry is very good, which explains why they sound good. looks like danelectro basically cut costs on the case and outside components - to provide cheap but decent pedals to "living room stars".

Thats what I was (am still am) worried about too. The switch is fairly small but it works well I have found. I dont know how well it will do once its on the pedalboard jammed between two other pedals.

Im thinking of opening this puppy up, keeping the innards intact but building a custom case for it.

Mike

The Danelectro stuff is a great value for light home use,definitely not roadworthy.I have a surf and Turt compressor that sounds every bit as good as my Dynacomp.

You can get that same pedal at www.goingtoday.com it is their deal of the day. I think it was like 19 bucks including shipping.

Yeah, I got it for about $15 US, I live in Canada so there's an exchange rate.

I opened it up today, looks easy enough to build my own steel case:D Anyone know where I can find a switch to act as the on button?
I'd like a steel button, really vintage looking if that makes sense.

Mike

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
I have a Fab-Tone stashed somewhere around here. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it but it is built like a tank. I am a little surprised to see another pedal in the "Fab" line that is made of plastic. I guess for the price you can't really complain. The Fab Tone is pretty righteous for Distorted Bass. Never messed with their chorus pedals.

I opened it up today, looks easy enough to build my own steel case Anyone know where I can find a switch to act as the on button?
I'd like a steel button, really vintage looking if that makes sense.

Online is probably your best bet but if you get lucky, some Radio Shacks still carry a small stash of SPST switches which should do the trick I think.

Back