Dancing with Moe

MC Gitarz

Hi folks
I don't record c_ver tunes a lot. But a friend asked me to do this for her. When I played solo this was her favorite song and she wanted to know what I would sound like with a band.

This has acoustic (mic'd with an SM57), acoustic/electric, bass, organ and kickin' drums. (I used Discrete Drums.)

Lemme know what ya think - I think it's my best mix to date - and I did this a long time ago.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/MCGitarz

It's on the "Songs From the Attic" album page - right at the top. It's called "Moe_Dancing" because I don't want to piss anybody off with a c_ver tune. (It's 'Moondance') I'll take it down in a couple days - just wanted y'all to have a crack at the mix. No one's heard this but me.
Thanks!!
Milan

Oh MAN are we pissed at you! :mad: Imagine that... doing a c_ver tune!! :mad:

Well something has to explain why this fell off pg one w/no responses :D ;)

Moe Dancing ... talk about prolific... you just can't get enough
of this stuff, eh? :D

Allman Bros? Sounds like that flavor (at least until the thing kicks
in).

WOW what a great voice. You and David (freshears) should collab... you
sound like twins. A very soothing tone.

Great arrangement of this... almost a latin flavor to this.

Nice drums... some of the guitar tracks are low... the acoustic on the
left? could be bumped up IMO... either that or compress it some (or, some more). Nice lead. Is that an acoustic electric, recorded via
pickup? Not the worst tone (usually those things just DON'T record
well).

Excellent bass tone. Be sure and send a submission for the next HR.COMP
CD (whenever that is :D) and don't miss the next jamfest ;) WOW...
sweet drum outro.

Chad w/*****

Id bring the cymbals back more to the center and subdue them a bit, and bring the snare and kick up a little more. The bass tone is really nice but needs touch of meat on it. Guitar was perfect maybe up a bit more in the solo part. Vocal very smooth and clean..

Big fat mix Milan, I agree with Toki on some things. Would like a little more meat on the bass maybe...Great performance man on everything! Loved the vox, guitar's are awesome! hope you get down this way sometimes.

David

After hearing the original version for the past 30 odd years, I thought I was at the point of living the rest of my life never hearing it again and remaining content.

Your version has changed my opinion 180 degrees!

You did a solid job of re-doing Moon-dance. The instrumentation and playing skills were all very well performed. I am impressed with your work yet again!

The singing was well done and gave the track a fresh interpretation that was long over due to my ears.

My only minor complaint with it, ( god! I hope I don't get flamed for this!!), was that it sounded a little nasally in parts. I am not a professional vocal coach by any stretch of the imagination but, I think they might tell you to try to sing through your diaphragm and not your nose in some spots. Sorry if I have offended you as, it's not my intension.

The track was great and sounded well mixed on my system.

Cheers! :)

Damn, this sounds good. Yeah, I suppose I could do with a little more bass definition. Especially cause a bass player can really have some fun with this simple little progression.

Man, you did some cool stuff with this tune. There's lots happening and it doesn't get crowded and muddy. You did a really good job mixing this one.

Right on!

Chris

Thanks, folks!
This really needed a listen by some experienced ears. Overall I liked it, too, and I think the difference is - I took my time.

Participant - you're very kind, indeed! Just mentioning my music in the same thread as the Allmans makes my decade! Therre was no direct intention in this case but it's nice to know the influence is there. If ever I could play in any one band - but only one - it would have been with the Allmans in the Brother Duane days. "Ain't my cross to bear" just melts my heart every time I hear it. I'm going to try some compression on that acoustic. I didn't have a condenser yet so I couldn't do any rolling off without ruining the tone. Compression might be the answer!! Thanks.

Toki - point taken - but can I move the cymbals? They're loops panned hard left and right. I can cut the highs and maybe bring the snare out but offhand I don't see how I can move them - hmmmmm. Lemme know if I'm overlooking something. Oh yeah - the bass - I didn't have monitors when I did this mix. I used home stereo speakers that were w-a-y- heavy on the bottom so I overcompensated. I'll be glad to add meat!! I'll let you know when it's done. And turn up the volume on the lead? No problem! I'd love to!

Chris - thanks for the bump - you're just making me wait to hear the diatribe on the DI'd acoust/elect, aren't you? Bring it on - I can handle it. I've been making up my answer since I posted! Take care, my friend and thanks for the listen!!

Fresh - you and I are gonna meet - I just know that. I listened to your re-mix of Golden Rule - like 19 times!! I'll PM ya later and gush some more - gotta get ready for work. But points are taken and I'll gladly adjust. The vox was the hardest part for me - it'e effected to the max - during the recording, no less. Glad I did! Thanks!!

Ghost - Thanks a lot! What a compliment! No offense taken at all on the vocal comment!! Dude, my skin's as thick as leather. Vocals are my weakness and nemesis. That vocal is effected and Eq'd so much I'm surprised there's any original signal there. I might try a re-track but that was the first of about 30 takes where all the notes were in pitch!! My intent was to totally re-arrange this tune because, like so many other musicians, I've played this song more than "Proud Mary!" I needed to do something with it so I could get through playing it night after night. I've played it in a pub in Ireland and they liked it so that was a vote of confidence.

Groucho - points made and now it's unanimous! I'll crank on the bass. Maybe re-cut it - like you said it's a blast playing bass and I've learned a LOT about compressing it and proper EQ. Yeah - I'm gonna re-track it. Thank for the listen and the kind words!!

Again - thanks everyone!! - I want this one to be good so I'll work at it and let you know when it's up. I was only concerned about having the dreaded c_ver tune on NWR.

Off to work - counting people...(sigh)
Milan

Very Nice!!!!

This is definitely the nicest version of this tune i have ever heard. A couple of things jumped out at me as being especially nice and well recorded. The acoustic guits just smoke in this. ...Nice full clarity, really nice. The organ too.... really nice and well placed. ...and them drums..... smokin .....and, and, and...

....just great stuff here MC... enjoyed this alot!

gw/5

Thanks so much for the compliment - that's pretty heavy! I'm taking a break from the studio this week to practice my mandolin but I'll be back in there this weekend to tweak a little. The board members have helped me a lot more than they'll know. I read all of this stuff - and the 40 to 50 percent of that sticks (ha!) I try to put into practice.

Thanks again!! You're more than gracious!
Milan

:eek: WOW!!!!. Nice performance Milan. For me the acoustic guitar is too high, nice vocals!!, if you could bring up front those cymbals, that could be add a lot to your mix. I´m with Toki about the bass.
What´s exactly discrete drums, something like Acid??, outstanding sounding drums, I can´t get that kind of sound using Fruityloops. Please tell me more about it.

Excellent job man!!

"Toki - point taken - but can I move the cymbals? They're loops panned hard left and right. I can cut the highs and maybe bring the snare out but offhand I don't see how I can move them - hmmmmm. Lemme know if I'm overlooking something."

I tried something when i was experimenting with loops, didnt get too far with the loops but the trick I was on worked fairly good. I copied the track to 2 mono tracks, so that means a left and right x 2. on track 1 I panned the left where the cymbals were over toward the middle. On track 2 did the same I panned the right where the cymbals weren`t toward the center but less than the left. I bounced the two tracks to 1 and the drums were tighter around the center.

probably the best version of that tune I ever heard.. the drums didn't seem to fit as well.. minor nit.. nice guitar sound and playing.. nice ending!

Thank you all! (image of me humbly bowing the old-fashioned way like they did on the Ed Sullivan Show.)

TamaSabian - This cymbal issue has me thinkin' - and the bass meat's been ordered - it'll be here Saturday!! I'm not a super techie type so here'e the link to DD: www.discretedrums.com
I've tried Fruity Loops and some other brand named after a fruit or a tree or something but couldn't quite get it. These are simple for me. And I do like the sound. Thanks for listening!!

Toki - thats a very cool idea! I need to try that - removes some of the limitations with a pre-recorded kit. I would never have thought of that but it should give me a lot more options for EQ, tone and level - not to mention placement. I'm gonna try it - appreciate that tip - that's one of those things you'll never find in abook!! THANKS!

B.Sabbath - Again, my humble appreciation. That's a very huge compliment! Thank you!

Back