Dancing About Architecture

JimH

Obviously it's difficult to teach about mixing by writing about it. I've always had the idea that some experienced person could post a project using a sequencer like Cakewalk or Cubase that would show a series of steps in getting from "raw" recorded tracks to a good mix. For each step, it would also included comments on why a particular EQ, compression, or volume setting was done. Then perhaps you could hear how things improved as a result of each change.

Rip Rowan's Point-to-Point articles on www.prorec.com do something like this and are very good. But I thought it would be better if it were all self contained in a sequencer program. One problem has been that not everyone owns the same sequencer. But now there are n-Track and ProTools Free.

Perhaps some experienced recording engineer would put together a sample project as a mixing tutorial using one of these applications. (hint, hint) Is that possible? Would people be reluctant to give up mixing secrets this way? I guess another problem might be that it would be too big to download.

Jim

Back