damn drum loops

scottyd

i got these drum loops that i like a lot but when i use them in cool edit they maxout the decible guage they dont distort or anything if i lower the volume to where it doesnt do it the drums will be to low and i have to lower the rest of the mix to get it right then i got a quiet mix any one else ran across this?

Open the loop in Edit view... Does the visualization have huge spikes in it, but most of the information is much quieter?

You could try that, but I'd just hard limit it, or even try to find a good compression setting.

What loops have you got?

If you don't hear the loops distorting, then they're not clipping. They might be making the meters turn red, but all red means is "0db." Besides, CEP's meters are about -.03db "hotter" than most other apps. It's kind of a safety measure to keep people from from clipping, although I'd prefer the meters to be accurate.

Yeah, I run across this all the time. There are 2 ways to deal with it. First, just turn down the master fader a notch. Every session I start, the first thing I do is set the master fader to -3 db. (no decimal point there). Just turn up the volume on whatever you're monitoring with. I then leave the drums at 0db on the track, b/c it helps me (personally) get relative levels on other stuff. For example, I know from the way that I compress my bass that it usually is going to sit in well with the drums somewhere between -8db and -11db if the drums are at zero. This is just my own personal method for getting close in the early stages of a mix.

The second way is to just compress/hard limit the loops like Chrisjob suggested. Personally, I don't like screwing with the dynamics of loops, particularly if I like the way the loop sounds to begin with. But you're probably only talking about hacking off around .02db of a transient, so it's no big deal if you just hard limit it. Just seems easier to me to turn the master fader down.

Back