Damaged SM57

neno

A friend of mine dropped my brand new Shure SM57 during rehearsal. I tried recording today but it gives only faint signal. Now, the wires inside are soldered to conenctors but grille is damaged and I have no idea how to get to the caspule. Is there anything I could do or the mic is dead for good.

neno said:
A friend of mine dropped my brand new Shure SM57 during rehearsal. I tried recording today but it gives only faint signal. Now, the wires inside are soldered to conenctors but grille is damaged and I have no idea how to get to the caspule. Is there anything I could do or the mic is dead for good.

If it is brand new, you can send it back to Shure for a replacement/repair. All products are under a 2 year warranty. You can read about the warranty and service policies here.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/ServiceAndWarranty/index.htm

You can remove the grille, that should be explained in the user guide. He must have really dropped it, they're made to last. Did it hit something on it's way down (besides the floor?)

I've killed a 57 by dropping it exactly as you described. It just ended up in the "fucked up gear" bin because we have maybe 4 dozen 57s in production stock, and its really not worth the time to fix it.

neno said:

Can you really damage an SM57?

They will sound the same even if you use them as a hammer.

If it's really damaged it might just be worth buying a new one. Some thing's cost more to fix then the actually cost price :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. Are you sure he didn't throw it though? 57's are pretty darn strong.

sowpunk said:
If it's really damaged it might just be worth buying a new one. Some thing's cost more to fix then the actually cost price :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. Are you sure he didn't throw it though? 57's are pretty darn strong.

so are tile floors :D who ever started that saying about using a sm57 as a hammer probably did'nt think that some people would take it so literal.

I don't understand why people thing the sm57 is so indestructable.
The plastic windscreen is actually fragile when hit by a drum stick.
The Solder joints to the capsule can come loose.
Then again I have older American made SM57s. Maybe the newer Mexican ones are more robust.

Back