Damaged Monitors??

puffin

Recently I have noticed that my active Tannoy reveals are making noises. The tweeter is emitting constant hiss and there is 'bubbling' or popping coming from the bass cone.

This is only really audible when my ear is close to one of the speakers. I don't monitor at excessive levels and the only time I have had a serious feedback problem was when I was hooking them up and neglectd to turn them down on the control panel. (I totally shat myself!)

The level of noise is consistent. It doesn't change when I turn my speakers up. The speakers are connected directly to outs of my Delta 66.

Is this normal? There is also buzzing from them when the mouse moves (this is mostly when using software)

Have you changed computers, software, wiring or anything about your system lately? Any new configurations or new gear hooked up? Have you checked your cables? Have they been moved or damaged in any way? Are there any possible outside sources that could cause this type of hum?

I recently bought an rnp and rnc, but the hiss is there when they are disconnected. I also bought new cables for these pieces of hardware, but again, none of it is switched on.

How do I check the cables? Is there a method for ths?

My PC is connected to a power outlett which is a gang of 6 adaptor.... There's not much I can do about it as my pc needs the outletts to run....

I never experienced any noise issues with my monitors (Event PS 6) until I upgraded to a new computer (Imac G5) and new recording software (DP). Now, I occasionally get a strange buzz coming from the monitors. It's very low level and intermitent and seems to be present only when Digital Performer is open. I haven't really pursued the issue, however, because it's just a minor annoyance at this point.

I guess the key to solving the problem involves a little experimentation and detective work. I would start eliminating variables. First, if possible, try hooking your monitors to another audio setup or another machine in a separate location. If they hum, you've isolated the monitor as the primary issue--unless, of courese, there is something up with your entire electrical system! Second, you could try running another audio software application to dtermine if that affects the hum. My noises somehow disappear when I close DP and play a file via itunes. Third, you can test cables. I've never really tried it but there are devices out there. Ebtech, for example, makes one:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/swizzdes.html

I would also add a set of balanced cables if your monitors and sound card support the connection. Fourth, you could consider adding some type of hum eliminator to your sysytem. It may or may not eliminator your noise issue but the only sure fire way is to try it. If the unit does nothing, send it back. Take a look at the Ebtech site for a sample of possible solutions:

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/products.html

They also have a download section and a PDF file for diagnosing ground loop hum. I have no clue if you are facing the type of issue but it's worth looking at anyway. Fifth, you should probably go through your entire setup to make sure that all your cables are properly connected. I've also read that certain types of cables (power versus audio) should be separated. I don't know much about this type of thing and I've always just assumed that good cables are properly shielded. But, hey, who knows!

Thanks dwillis.

I'll look into this stuff and may soon be able to test my monitors with someone else's gear. There actually isn't a problem in my audio software, just when on the net. There are so many cables and plugs in my room it's no wonder there's a bit of hum.

Back