DAC1- 002r

richardsorr

How would a benchmark DAC1 connect to my 002r for monitoring? Sweetwater is telling me I need an extra box for it to work?

You'd connect the SPDIF out of the 002R to the SPDIF in of the DAC1. Then in ProTools you'd route the audio to the SPDIF output so you could hear it.

What extra box is Sweetwater saying that you need?

I forget exactly. Something so I can use ADAT. But then someone in their service department told me I could just use the ADAT out from the 002 to the ADAT in on the DAC1 and set my output to ADAT 1/2. They are sending me a lightpipe cable with it, will that work?

richardsorr said:
IThey are sending me a lightpipe cable with it , will that work?
What are they sending with the optical cable? Sounds like the lightpipe should do it on it's own...

i would probably be using s/pdif if i got one. set main outs to s/pdif 1/2 and spdif into the DAC, analog outs of the DAC into your monitors/amps whatever.

It's important to keep in mind that with the 002R the optical I/O can operate in two different formats: ADAT and SPDIF. So in other words, just because you are using an optical cable does not mean you are using ADAT format.

If you want to use the optical output of the 002R with your DAC1 you need to go into ProTools and select the menu item "Setup" then "Hardware". Once in that window you would select "SPDIF" for the optical format.

However, I would suggest that you use the SPDIF output of the 002R with the DAC1. The reason being that you will then still have the eight channels of the ADAT optical available should you need it. This is how I do it, in any case.

All you need is a SPDIF cable. This can be very inexpensive, as you can use an RCA video cable.

yeah, I'm gonna do that instead. I can use the lightpipe cable they give me for another piece of gear I have comming, I'll just pick up a SPDIF cable from GC or something...thanks for the help. I can't wait to try this thing out

additional question:

spdif is considered consumer, adat a bit more pro,

will you hear any difference between these two cables if you use the routing we're talking about here?

earworm said:
spdif is considered consumer, adat a bit more pro,

will you hear any difference between these two cables if you use the routing we're talking about here?

I don't necessarily agree with that statement in the first place. Many, many, many pro pieces of gear have SPDIF interfaces, there is really no stigma attached to it.

SPDIF is two channel, ADAT is eight channel. TOSlink is the two channel optical format. Two channels of SPDIF, TOSlink, ADAT should all sound identical.

Back