DA 38 opinions

m98ter

I'm thinking about trading up from my 424mkIII to a d38, and I'm just looking for some opinions on the machine. I asked my proffessor (radio instructor) about them today, and he told me that he wouldnt pick one up for any more than $50 (seemed a little low to me) if it were up to him. He said that they were high matainence and can get really finicky down the line possibly causing costly repairs. So, if anyone cares to, please give me some input on the machine......and also, what is the going rate for one these days?.....how much cash is too much to pay for one?

Thanks,

Will

I have 3 da-38's I've had them for 7 years in a commercial studio. Every 4000 hours I had to get the heads redone (about $800 last time I did it). They have been trouble free for me. What your teacher was describing sounds more like ADATs from about 7 years ago. You can get DA-38's on ebay for around $300 on Ebay. Just remember, there is no mixer like on your 4 track so you will have to figure that in to the cost.

I understand the need for a seperate mixer. My only question though is what is the signal chain when using one of these? I would assume mixer to recorder then back to mixer then to your mastering device (in my case a standalone cdr)?

m98ter said:
I understand the need for a seperate mixer. My only question though is what is the signal chain when using one of these? I would assume mixer to recorder then back to mixer then to your mastering device (in my case a standalone cdr)?
That is pretty much it. If you aren't careful you can easily send the output of the da38 to its own input. A real recording board helps.

Back