D-A-Bm-G

jonnyboy

well, with all this talk of stolen songs and how chord progressions can't be legally owned etc...thought I'd pose this one. Does anyone else seem to find themselves always going back to the same chord progressions (granted , I only know 4 chords!)...however, I always find myself using the sequence of D, A, Bm, G in varying keys...I must have at least 10 songs with this sequence, varying tempos and all with different melodies (this being something that also fascinates me...the infinite amount of melodies that can be created from the same chord progression)...and, as I think was posted before, this is a really well-used sequence (let it be, lost weekend, fall at your feet...and my particular favourite push by Matchbox 20, to name but a few)...

anyone else have same kind of 'problem'? any favourite progressions? any new ones I can try!!!!

Jonny_boy

most definitely do. if i get into a rut tho, i just switch the order of chords round, or use barre chords, or throw a capo on the guitar.

there are a limited number of permutations (is that spelt right?) of chords and notes, but an unlimimited number of potential songs, so its only a matter of time before someone lays claim to a tune and claims that someone has ripped them off.

so i say f*ck it and keep going.

dragonworks said:
See the might help might not thread
I did. good stuff. I am going to print it out and look it over. Then I might sprinkle it with salt and eat it. I heard that you can absorb it better that way! :eek: Just kidding! I never eat paper.... without white wine... :o

LOL Am F C G.....Bm G D A. Em C G D, i have to move through each one of those progressions before i write a song...the best thing I've been doing lately is building the song around a lead hook instead of having the chorus progression itself be the hook

distortedrumble said:
LOL Am F C G.....Bm G D A. Em C G D, i have to move through each one of those progressions before i write a song...the best thing I've been doing lately is building the song around a lead hook instead of having the chorus progression itself be the hook
Carlos Santana-ish, huh? I'd try that if my lead playing wasn't so hurting. All the time I spend writing, I've forgotten to work on my chops. Maybe I should put all my gear away and start working on my playing.... :o

well yeah i guess you could put it that way. i havent been playing as much as i need to but i've been doing rap music so theres not need to get elaborate with a lead hook. most of the time i listen to the music i made for a day or two before i can write lyrics to it.

distortedrumble said:
well yeah i guess you could put it that way. i havent been playing as much as i need to but i've been doing rap music so theres not need to get elaborate with a lead hook. most of the time i listen to the music i made for a day or two before i can write lyrics to it.
I do that too, if I come up with the melody or hook first. Most of the time I come up with lyrics, then struggle with putting what I hear in my head on tape. I guess the lack of serious guitar skills hampers me sometimes. But I can always find that second choice which is just as good with what I had envisioned. Sometimes it's not.

Try taking a course (or reading a book) in music theory. There's a whole world out there...

Back