cymbal cleaner??

branded

Hey. I heard somwere that cymbal cleaner is actually bad for your
cymbals. Is this true? if so, why?. Thanks

No it´s not, but why would you? Most cymbals sound even better with a layer of green stuff on it, you would never clean an old Zildjian would you?
Plus: it looks cool :)
Plus: some drummers even bury their cymbals under the ground for two months before using it, all for the sound.

It wont harm your cymbals if you don´t overuse it. I used to clean them a lot, love to see my cymbals as bright as they could be. Then I became too lazy and don´t clean them anymore, just clean the fingerprints with a soft cloth after playing.

F_cksia said:
No it´s not, but why would you? Most cymbals sound even better with a layer of green stuff on it, you would never clean an old Zildjian would you?
Plus: it looks cool :)
Plus: some drummers even bury their cymbals under the ground for two months before using it, all for the sound.

Really?? :eek: . I like my cymbals to be shiny shiny shiny! haha.
Ive never heard of anyone burying there cymbals in the ground,
ecspecially expensive ones, I don't see why anyone would make there
cymbals look old and dirty on purpose :confused: . Im in the process
of buying Zildjian A customs for my kit, these have a beautiful finish
I hope to be able to keep them this way.

It is true that many cymbals gain a cetain "warmer" tone after accumulated dirt, smoke, sweat, blood, tarnish, etc. It's also true that some people have reportedly buried cymbals to quicken that process. I don't know anyone personnally who has buried cymbals - although I know someone who found an old cymbal buried (which would suggest one should mark where they bury their cymbals lest the forget and lose them).

When I purchase a new cymbal, it's because I have determined I like the tone - accordingly I want to preserve that tone, rather than alter it by allowing the cymbal to "age" (they will all age and change tone soon enough, why allow it to happen too soon?).

Commercial cymbal cleaners are almost all chemical cleaners, Putting a chemical on metal has some impact on the metal (at the very least a cleaning impact) which sometimes includes removing a very, very thin layer of the metal. Used with due caution and limited use it will have a minimum impact on the sound of the cymbal. The most important thing to preserve a cymbal is to whipe it down with a soft cloth after every use - in particular to remove finger prints (fingerprints allow body acids to sit on the metal).

While many drummers have used many different products (everything from Brasso to spit) and techiques, most products designed for cymbals used as directed (spread with a soft cloth, applied to follow the cut of the cymbal, etc) will normally work best

branded said:
Really?? :eek: . I like my cymbals to be shiny shiny shiny! haha.
Ive never heard of anyone burying there cymbals in the ground,
ecspecially expensive ones, I don't see why anyone would make there
cymbals look old and dirty on purpose :confused: . Im in the process
of buying Zildjian A customs for my kit, these have a beautiful finish
I hope to be able to keep them this way.

yeh they used to bury their K rides.... I like to leave my cymbals to age naturaly

Back