Cymbal and Overhead Mics

Metalchild23

I never really had a need for micing my drums but the time has now come to buy some, I have my toms, snare, and bass drum figured out but everyone is telling me diffrent things about my cymbals.

Some are telling me just use 2 or 3 over heads and dont mic my hats and ride with they're own mices

Other tell me mic the kit with 2 over heads and and DEFFINITLY mic the hats and ride.

Im really not too sure what to do, I would go out and try both but I dont have the money to do so, but in any case what are some good cymbal mics for a drum kit, for cymbals I have 3 crashes, 2 chinas and 2 splashes and then the hats and ride. Im not too sure if that makes a huge diffrence knowing that but I figured id let everyone know just in case

If you could leave some feed back for me that would be awesome, thanks.
-Neil

I'd close mic the hats for sure, depends on the ride if you really need to or not. Experiment, do what sounds best.

Shure KSM32s are my favorite overhead mics at any price (I have access to much more expensive mics for OH) Two mics is usually enough. I mic the hats about half the time, I mic the ride about 10% of the time. About 25% of the time I use only one mic for OH.

Use too if thats what you have. I rarely need hi hat mics either. But i usually put them up just in case along with the ride. Sometimes they are nice to give the hats a little extra punch but not needed to be heard clearly.

Danny

Back