CWPA 9 audio question

FrankD

Hey, I'm back after a long absence and hoping someone can help me with this problem. I'm trying to multi track audio (myself playing both parts), and I can't stop getting bleed from the first audio track when I'm trying to record the second. All I can do is to mute the first audio track and "fly blind" trying to match the second track to the first.

I'm going from mic to mixer into the line in on my sound card. I record my MIDI files first as backing track, but don't mix the MIDI down to audio until I've finished recording the live horn tracks (me).

For an example, check out the tune Chicken Shack on my web page. www.geocities.com\fdemar1704\ I multi tracked the three saxes, but was not able to listen to any of the first track while playing the second. It worked out ok on this tune, but won't cut it on something more complex.

Oh yeah, I am using headphones with monitors off while recording, so there's no bleed from monitors into the mic.

TIA for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Check the recording properties for your soundcard's mixer, and the windows mixer, make sure that the only recording source that's selected and active is the one that you're plugging your preamp/mixer into, IOW, if you're plugged into the line input on your soundcard, then only the line input should be selected and active as the recording source.

If "what you hear", or "wave out", or "wave", or "stereo mix", or anything like that is selected, it can cause this problem.

If that isn't the problem, then it could be a misrouted signal in your hardware mixer.

Last edited:
i basically have that same setup w/ the same program, and usually i turn the monitors all the way down, so that just the headphones r playing. that could be another problem. make sure u can't hear the headphones outside of ur ears, or the mic might be picking that up. i know from experience how much this sucks.

I can tell you this much. This likely has nothing to do with the recording program itself...so to speak. It's most likely misrouting. How bad is the bleed? Do you have a situation where, say, the track you're recording on is input 1/2...and the output of the bleeding track(s) is input 1/2? That would be the first place I'd look.

Follow the signal path. I think that's where you'll find the solution.

K-

Thanks for all the feedback. It must have been the power of your collective wisdom, because I tested it last night, and the d*** thing seems to be working OK. I haven't changed anything as far as I can tell, but I agree it's probably related to signal path more than software. Anyway, thanks again, I'll give it a workout this weekend and let you know how things turn out.

Back