CW Pro Audio 9 and two soundcards?

Peter Ochello

Hi gang, I've been off of the BBS for a while concentrating on a recording project.
I'm not a newbie by any means but I need to know if anyone has tried this configuration
or experienced this problem.

I'm trying to use two sound cards, one for mains and one for a headphone monitoring mix.
I have a SB Live handling my main stuff and a cheap little SB16 running the monitor mix.
For the monitor mix I take the signal from the Aux sends. This works really well, by the way.
The problem I'm having is that as soon as I arm a track for recording it kills the Aux send.
So, if I have my music recorded and I'm laying vocals on a track I can hear the music in the
headphones just fine. However, I can't hear the vocals at all. It's as if arming the track for
recording defeats the Aux send for that channel. That's no good, if so, since CW recommends
using the Aux's for monitoring purposes. CW also does not recommend using two
soundcards yet the software has allowances for it. Pretty strange. Incidentally, I have
simultaneous record/playback enabled. The SB16 is not used for recording, only
playback. So, it shouldn't matter if it is full duplex or not. Any suggestions......thx....pete o

PeteO -
Sounds like your thinking outside the box - always a good thing. From my own experience I have had little or no success using the CW auxiliary. I monitor mainly thru my Desktop spkrs - because they are there - send my monitor mix thru one card and record on another. I have worked CPA 9 succesfully with as many as four soundcards.

Thanks for the reply.... When I asked CW they just came back with the standard.....
we don't recommend using more than one sound card. They are like robots with that
reply. I've heard it before. I really just wanted them to tell me if I enabled the record on
a specific track does that defeat the aux send? Instead, I got the robot answer back from
them. The send is working everywhere else...just not on the tracks with record enabled.
Since I'm using the same board to produce the headphone monitor mix that I'm using
to record with there are ways for me to develop the mix outside of CW. Just wish the
program offered what it says so that I could do it within the computer and CW.

Back