CV Speakers as Monitors

KevinDrummer

I just replaced the crappy Harmon Kardon computer speakers that I was using for my little DAW studio.

They are some Cerwin Vegas that I selected for my mother about 12 years ago - AT-8s. She didn't need them anymore and I've got them plugged in to a reciever that's plugged into my soundcard.

I am VERY pleased with the upgraded sound. But - am I fooling myself to think they sound anywhere near what "studio monitors" would sound like? I mean, I've heard studio monitors in different rooms but I don't have a direct comparison here.

BTW, they look very much like studio monitors. Very heavy and somewhat small. I think they're fairly high-end. Anyone ever heard these AT-8's?

The AT8's are high-end stereo speakers, not true monitors. They are reasonably flat, but probably not as flat as one would desire for mixing.

The only obvious defect I see with them is that they are all made with the tweeter on the left, and the control on the right above the woofer. So if you flip them on their sides, the tweeters are at different heights. If they are in their normal vertical position, the tweeters are a few inches off the woofer centerline, vertically.

Probably won't affect imaging all that much, but it might, depending on your mix environment. Something to at least be aware of.

They do sound very nice however, but don't pump in more than 100W RMS.

thanks, frederic.

It's cool someone knows about these. However, mine don't have any controls, and the tweeter is fairly centered over the woofer. see pic.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/t/stiles123/Dsc01259.jpg

This is a quantum leap in sound quality for me though, and it sounds like I got a pretty good setup - I think I'll spend my money on other things rather than ever upgrading my monitoring.

But the tweeter isn't on axis with the woofer's centerline. If you're an anal retentive perfectionist, this will annoy you. If you're like me, it probably won't.

What ultimately matters is that YOU like how they sound. :D

Back